Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some Tank Stereoviews

Stereoview Paul

I believe these are all MKIV tanks, the first three are clearly training round images.

This first one I believe shows 'Nelson' who also appeared at Trafalgar Square.

Tank1.jpg.41b00e6ac1a9a236f25b1de981a2aebf.jpg

I love that this 'male' tank has had a line drawn on the side so we can exactly how much bigger it is than the female.

1102990685_RT649.jpg.ed7c33a477f28cad0695763d622c5711.jpg

Slightly unusual in that this seems to be a male tank with female sponsions? 

1449337961_RT650.jpg.69349fb5f56145ecd039905eac855b20.jpg

They were pretty unreliable, this one lost its track even before it left the storage area. Getting the track back on looks pretty tough work.

Tank4.jpg.a6313fb853cf0dcd649b522140093ed3.jpg

Finally a pair with both out of action - no enemy action required

Tank5.jpg.50ec27e3fd7897c00c9a325cbb9d3d34.jpg

If I have mis assigned any of these please let me know - Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these images Paul, the last image is entitled:

A tank comes to the rescue of its comrade, bogged in the Luce Valley during the advance on Rosieres. 

Will this be Rosieres-en-Santerre? The Battle of Amiens sent Mark V tanks towards Rosieres on the 8th August 1918. 4th Battalion were working along the Luce Valley with the Canadians. I don't think the Luce river actual gets to Rosieres and the allies did not get to Rosieres on the 8th. On the 9th the battle moved on to that district.

My grandfather was in a 4th Battalion Mark V no. 9189 on the 8th working along the Luce valley. On the 9th they were battling around Warvillers and Beaufort directly south of Rosieres. 

Both tanks appear to have a shield or sign fitted to the top of them can anyone advise on this feature?

image.png.d8d93100da28605b2b9f64a102275ba0.png

INW

Edited by INW
typro

HI,

I believe that the 'shields' are just the top hatches open on both tanks.

No crew in sight, but I am not sure they would want to be captured on film after driving off the edge of the road!

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the caption - however unlike many of Girdwood's own photos, most of the bought-in images like this one seem to have accurate descriptions.

Paul

Paul

I have looked through David Fletcher's book on the Mark V, published by Osprey, and you are right, it is simply a cab roof hatch door. It placed is slightly off centre and hinged along the leading edge. Looking on google maps there are a few sections of the D76 road near the river Luce and the village of Caix which look likely this.

INW

The line on the side of the second image is to show the profile of the standard side plate - the tank has a 'Tadpole tail' for crossing extra-wide trenches. It may have nothing to do with gender.

• 3 weeks later...

Great photographs! My grandfather was in the RTC in 1918-1919 after infantry service in Palestine, but never got to the front with the tanks.

Trajan