Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory medal variants

mancpal

Forgive me if I’ve asked this before or it has been covered by others, I couldn’t find it.

How many design variants of the Victory Medal were issued to allied countries?

Id love to see examples of each.

Thanks,

Simon.

Thanks for the link. 14 then unless the list is incomplete .

Simon

Hi,   Yes, 14 basic types, however, for example there are two types of British issue medal. There is the common "shiny" gold coloured version and also the much rarer first issued "Chocolate brown" medal. You can read more about the difference between them here- https://www.omsa.org/the-british-victory-medal-1914-1919-part-i/

In addition, there seems to be a range of unofficial Victory medals that were available in countries such as France. These are very, very similar to the official issue, but sometimes with very slight design changes.
    The medal issued by the USA is very interesting as they also issued a number of claps which are worn on the ribbon which indicate where the recipient served and fought, as seen above. It is common to see the USA issue with multiple clasps on the ribbon.

Thanks for your time spent in answering my question . I doubt too many complete sets are around but can’t help but think they’d make an impressive framed display.

Simon