Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change to Service number confirmation

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Wandered if I could ask a quick confirmation. Should know this but have been away a while & am a bit rusty it seems!

Have a Pte 2645 in the 5th Beds (A TF unit) with "32136 Bedf R" as the second entry. Am I correct in thinking

1. 5 digits says he stayed in that Btn until Disembodied from service on 15 May 1918.

2. 6 digits would mean he was in a different Btn from his original one when the reorg in 1917 happened

Thanks peeps ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Have a Pte 2645 in the 5th Beds (A TF unit) with "32136 Bedf R" as the second entry. Am I correct in thinking

1. 5 digits says he stayed in that Btn until Disembodied from service on 15 May 1918.

2. 6 digits would mean he was in a different Btn from his original one when the reorg in 1917 happened

Steve,

I don't think 32136 is a TF number.

If his original TF number was 2645 then he would have been given a 6-digit number in early 1917 if he was still serving in a TF battalion.

Looking at the two numbers you quote I wonder if he became 'time served' with his 4-digit number and then re-enlisted into the regulars (or New Army).

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

Ken

Steve,

I don't think 32136 is a TF number.

If his original TF number was 2645 then he would have been given a 6-digit number in early 1917 if he was still serving in a TF battalion.

Looking at the two numbers you quote I wonder if he became 'time served' with his 4-digit number and then re-enlisted into the regulars (or New Army).

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

Ken

Fire your thoughts at me with pleasure Ken. He was a TF from 21 March 1910 time, so is "time served" is subject to any specific length of service? And would there have been a chance he could stayed in the Tf unit, as they were in Egypt / Palestine all war, so I wouldnt imagine they would ship him all the way back really unless needed would they?

So i need to get a look at the Rolls really, to see what unit he was in at the end of the war? Or would a SWB Roll give that info, as he has one of those too?

Thanks Ken :D

Steve

Steve,

My g-gfather who enlisted in the TF in 1912 became time-expired in 1916. Was conscripted later that year.

In my research of the 4th Lincs, I've come across large groups of men (mainly from the 2nd-line battalion) who transferred to the regular/new army battalions in mid 1916. These men were all renumbered with five Lincs digit numbers.

Jim

Steve,

I'm not sure if this is going to assist but here goes :D .

My Uncles pre-War TF Number(8th Royal Scots) was 20.He went to France November 1914 and this Number is shown on his "1914 Star"

He was re-numbered 325002 in 1917 and this Number is recorded by the CWGC.He was killed March 1918 whilst serving with the 8th Royal Scots.

My Uncle does have a 4 Figure Number(4208) and this is recorded on his War and Victory Medal.

We have debated this 4 Figure Number in the past as there is nothing to suggest that my Uncle ever changed Battalions.It has been pointed out though, that for example,he he may have been ill,etc and returned to UK then sent as a draft to another Battalion for a short period.

He is an early Member of the TF so I suppose another possibility for the 4 Figure Number was when his original time expired as a Territorial.

I have been advised to check the Medal Rolls to see where the 4 Figure Number may have come from and will get round to it some day.

As I said at the start, sorry if I've muddied the water further!

George

Thanks Jim & George

Jim; thats interesting thanks. Someone kindly looked up his SWB at the PRO & it mentions 1a France. I read in the 5th Beds diary & elsewhere, grumbles about losing healthy soldiers to units in france (when the Div were in Egypt) and getting wounded / part recovered soldiers in their new drafts in return. So, he could have been wounded, ill or just expired & conscripted into a unit in France.

George; (20? Thats a low number!). As it goes, youve not muddied things at all, as that 'mirrors' my GG's (a different relative) renumbering, movements & timing. He was KIA Mar 18 too. And in doing that, it explains it well, so thanks George!

I havent 'managed' to research anyone with a Service Record so far ( :rolleyes: ), so dont know - would all this info be on the record (if its there)?

Many thanks chaps

Steve :D

Steve,

I can confirm 20,I've got PC's my Uncle sent from pre-War Camp from 1909 onwards.

According to CWGC he was 24 when he died.

We've discussed this before and I am sure Langley Baston confirmed that 14/15/16 year olds could join the Territorials if a relative had some connection.My Grandfather was working on a Rifle Range in the 1900's.

George

Steve,

I can confirm 20,I've got PC's my Uncle sent from pre-War Camp from 1909 onwards.

Now that sounds like a fine example of an EARLY Terrier?

Could they sign up for the Terriers pre war when they wanted, or were there certain times of the year that they took 'new recruits' in?

And I got the impression that 17 was the usual minimum age from what you said - is that correct?

Thanks George :D

Steve,

Wish I could give you a straight answer but I can't! "Hoisted by my one petard" springs to mind.

I've e-mailed Langley Baston to see if he can post an answer.

In the meantime I happened to be browsing in a Book Shop at lunch-time and saw the New Book by Richard van Emden "Boy Soldiers of The Great War".Did not scan deeply but see he makes reference to youngsters being involved in the 7th Royal Scots Rail Disaster in 1915.

Will buy a copy on my way home tonight to see if I can find an answer.

As regards joining the TF.Would have thought it would be no different than when I joined in the 1970's.If they had vacancies and you were medically fit,etc they would be glad to take you any time of year.

George

Steve,

Cannot claim credit for this so with my personal thank you to Langley Baston.

TF Regs:Service in the TF 1912

Boys between 14 and 17 may,with the consent of their parents or guardians,enlist as trumpeters,buglers or bandsmen.

I have an early photograph of my Uncle wearing a kilt(8th Royal Scots were not a kilted Battalion apart from the Band) so this supports that he joined as a bandsman and transferred to the Machine Gun Section when he was old enough.

George

Steve,

Cannot claim credit for this so with my personal thank you to Langley Baston.

TF Regs:Service in the TF 1912

Boys between 14 and 17 may,with the consent of their parents or guardians,enlist as trumpeters,buglers or bandsmen.

I have an early photograph of my Uncle wearing a kilt(8th Royal Scots were not a kilted Battalion apart from the Band) so this supports that he joined as a bandsman and transferred to the Machine Gun Section when he was old enough.

George

Thanks George & Langley

Im grateful to you both!

Steve