Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has anyone seen this?

Feyshot

Hello, glad to be part of this group.  I have a question, looking to buy this Webley MkVI revolver but, this has me perplexed…  has anyone seen one before with that lower screw, near the trigger guard?  Any help would be appreciated.  Cheers.image.jpeg.c61ca910f22165195a378fde22f18568.jpeg

No, I haven't seen that previously to my knowledge.

I just thumbed through Bruce and Reinhart ("Webley Revolvers" based on Dowells The Webley Story) and do not see anything like it.

Trying to imagine what a bolt in this position would do.

Chris

31 minutes ago, johnboy said:

does it govern how far the trigger can be pulled

I was wondering similar - almost as though it would make it single action only? (ie it would have to be manually cocked before firing?) 

30 minutes ago, johnboy said:

bestway to find out... slowly remove it?

well first off - try the action - can it fire double action?

What happens if you pull the trigger straight back - is it double or single action?

I can't think why you would turn a double action revolver into a single action but.......

It *looks* as if the centreline of the screw passes through the foward end of the mainspring auxiliary, near where the pawl is pivoted. I wondered if it was a shortened screw, so mounted to control unwanted lateral movement of the auxiliary, through some fault or internal breakage?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, green said:

IIRC this was one of the mods required for US import by ATF to prevent cocked revolver from firing if dropped c1990s.

Well, that'd explain why it's not often seen this side o' the pond... :)

It's not obvious how it'd work, though - or how reliable it might be. You surely weren't supposed to tighten the screw to lock the auxiliary after cocking ?!?:o

I'm assuming the screw is associated with all this junk:

image.png.9d6afe232a5ac5cbc2b368af9fd8696a.png

Which I assume is a hammer block device. Someone clearly didn't understand how a Webley hammer works....

Keeping customs bureaucrats happy is nothing to do with how something works.

Our requirements used to include that any rifle where the bolt cocking piece could be pulled backwards had to have a safety half cock position like an SMLE. So in Oz you will see Springfield 03s with the end of the cocking piece machined back so that there is nothing to grab and M-Nagants with a half cock catch cut into the bottom of the cocking piece.

11 hours ago, Joolz said:

I'm assuming the screw is associated with all this junk:

image.png.9d6afe232a5ac5cbc2b368af9fd8696a.png

Which I assume is a hammer block device. Someone clearly didn't understand how a Webley hammer works....

I never noticed those mods on the original photo!  True, the only purpose you can imagine is for it to back up the mechanical safety - but for that to be necessary the double-action hammer catch or the tail of the trigger lever would already have to be broken off...

It's positioned a little like the Iver Johnson transfer bar, but can't be used in that way because it doesn't interpose between the hammer and a separate firing pin.

I'd say it's not a feature but a bug! :o:D Chase is right.

Taking into account the way it's been heavily messed about, and assuming it works OK, it's more of a budget shooter's gun than one with any collector value. I'm surprised it hasn't been shaved for .45ACP, given the availability of .455. It certainly wouldn't have detracted from it's already low value.