Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cannot find 1914 Star medal roll for 2nd Royal Scots

WilliamRev

Looking on Ancestry I cannot find the 1914 Star medal roll for either of the regular battalions of the Royal Scots. It is the 2nd Battalion that I am looking for, and I am sure that it is not missing from the NA because it has been referred to on this forum in the past few years.

Can anyone help? Is there a special knack for finding this particular one?

Many thanks, William

Edited by WilliamRev

If you havnt tried it then I found finding a few causalities from  those units from CWGC and then searching the men through the CWGC details (name number etc) brought  me to the right roll.

im sure there is a smarter way though… 

Edited by AndrewSid

Is it this one?

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

or 14-15 roll? For Royal Scots rather than Fusiliers?

image.png.7b70a4ebb2cfe986c98b2a6b48b846b1.png

Edited by jonbem

Thanks Jonbem for your link, but that is Royal Scots Fusiliers, a roll that I know all too well (with 1st Battalion's alarming number of deserters forfeiting the medal!). Likewise I can find the 1914-15 Star for Royal Scots, but the 1914 star roll still eludes me.

Thanks AndrewSid, I will try your cunning method later this evening, and see if that works.

In the meantime any more suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, William

Got it in Irish Guards!

image.png.db4d947fec79c4aaa80c3d3f0644ca9b.png

4 minutes ago, RussT said:

Because it's Ancestry it's indexed under Irish Guards - I would expect nothing less from such a superb organisation.

Here is the first page - like most 1914 Rolls, it's in surname alphabetical order

Regards

Russ

Beat me to it Russ!

rgds

Jon

Thanks Russ and Jon. Silly me for not looking under Irish Guards; seems obvious now.  :D

19 hours ago, jonbem said:

Because it's Ancestry it's indexed under Irish Guards - I would expect nothing less from such a superb organisation.

2 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

Thanks Russ and Jon. Silly me for not looking under Irish Guards; seems obvious now.

Having used Ancestry for far too many years, I have become used to their errors on indexing / transcriptions and I have always submitted a request for the error to be corrected. Ancestry NEVER get back to you to say that they will look at the problem unlike Find My Past who do let you know. I have taken the liberty to submit a request for them to correct their indexing on this matter. (not holding my breath for them to do anything in a timely manner :()

Thanks Allan.