Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Khaki kilts

roger

I've read somewhere, but as usual I can't remember where, that the 10th Black Watch wore a plain khaki kilt.

I would imagine that this was due to a wartime shortage of tartan and would like to know if any forum members had heard of any other Highland units wearing khaki kilts. In case I haven't made myself clear I don't mean the aprons worn to protect the kilt.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger,

The Khaki Kilt, aka "Kilt Serge Drab Mixture", was introduced in 1914 with pattern number 8159/1914, pattern sealing date unrecorded however it would be mid Dec 1914. The first contract (C/1481) was issued on 21/1/1915. An improved pattern 8391/1914 was introduced on 28/5/1915 and the existing contract modified. The Priced Vocabulary published in July 1915 lists this item as being in inventory at the cost of 16s6d.

Yes, the purpose of this kilt was to clothe highland units authorized the Kilt on an emergency basis. However, its primary function was to clothe Canadian units arriving in England with Kilts. As all Kilts supplied to Canadian units came from Scottish manufacturers, even before the war, the Kilt manufacturers could not keep up with demand so this was established as an expedience. Tartan Kilts had priority to British (Scottish units). Few, non Canadian Highland units received these kilts. I know of no units being deployed so equipped, however my research is far from complete in this area.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply to my query. The reason for my question is that I'm thinking of painting a 80mm white metal figure of a Highland soldier. The easiest (and cheating) way of doing this without painting a tartan kilt is painting the figure to depict a member of the London Scottish in plain Hodden grey kilt or attempting a tartan and caking him in mud to cover any flaws.

You have now given me the idea to paint it to depict a member of a Canadian Highland regt. in " kilt drab serge mixture".

So, the next question is was the Canadian Highlanders uniform identical to that worn by British troops?

Cheers,

Roger.

Wasn't a khaki kilt sometimes worn above the tartan? To protect the tartan kilt or as camouflage?

I think I saw this on a painting of piper Laidlaw VC

Best,

Bert.

Bert,

I think what you are refering to is the apron worn over the kilt to protect it. I mentioned it in my origonal post.

Roger

Looking through some back numbers of 'The Gallipolian' today I came across the obituary for Murdo MacDonald (The Gallipolian No.78 Autumn 1995) probably the last Gallipolian veteran from the Western Isles who died on 7 Feb 1995.

The obit is accompanied by a photograph of three of the MacDonald brothers taken circa 1914 and shows Murdo in the uniform of 1/5th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

The kilt he is wearing appears to be khaki, but of course this is hard to tell in a black and white photograph. Also notable is that where on would expect to see a sporran hanging on the kilt, there is instead a single large flapped pocket with a one button. Would this be an example of a khaki kilt or the apron referred to above?

Regards

Michael D.R.