Remembered Today 5.9.1917 - Pte Jimmy Smith KLR, executed at dawn

davidbohl

Just one of the 306 souls who went this way

https://www.liverpoolpals.com/soldier/?i=2340/52929-pte-james-smith

On 05/09/2022 at 09:07, davidbohl said:

Just one of the 306 souls who went this way

https://www.liverpoolpals.com/soldier/?i=2340/52929-pte-james-smith

Very moving thanks for sharing

Yes, a very difficult read from the start where he is born out of wedlock, to the final curtain involving Pte Blundell.

I've moved on to his family life and confused by the index of the pension ledgers:-

Soldiers Effects has no legatee, first Pension to mother Eliza Ann Culshaw, second Pension to Aunt Eliza Ann Culshaw and father James William Smith.

James Smith  
Eliza Ann Culshaw Aunt
James Wm Smith Father

Name Relation to Soldier
James. Smith.  
Eliza. Ann.Culshaw. Mother

Can anybody tell me the timescale between the pension records please, or do they look the same person ?

I've found him on the 1901 census living with his father James William Smith, and widow Elizabeth Threlfall who is Eliza Ann Culshaw's mother.

from Anc.SmithJas_1901.png.6237080a4173c3f1b1c4d145c9ede129.png

thanks

Dave

10 hours ago, sueburden said:

A heartbreaking story.  

Agree.  I was a bit concerned I would be reading an emotive lookback at Great War military discipline through a contemporary lens but I found a comprehensive and very well-researched article.  The speech from the modern British MP was excellent and the obvious respect for the man from his own comrades-in-arms was touching.

A sad story about a man who may well have been able to resume his place in the line after rest.  Well work a read and thanks for posting.

"pour encourager les autres". 

It is difficult to believe that his treatment had other than a negative effect on his battalion, let alone the damage done to his immediate comrades, even in those infernal times.

Clearly a long overdue rehabilitation. 

ps. Text has a misprint of year of trf to L'pool Pals. Sb 1916 not 1917?

16 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Text has a misprint of year of trf to L'pool Pals. Sb 1916 not 1917?

Well spotted Charlie, I'll get that changed when we sort out his family life(if that is going to be possible).

I'm not happy with the cwgc statement "Son of James William and Elizabeth Smith, of 52 Noble St., Bolton" as the 1921 census says his wife was Margaret Ellen.

Also the MP said "Jimmy to his friends, who was born in 1891 at 77 Noble Street, today in my Constituency, and whose mother Elizabeth died just after he was born",  anecdotally "Charles Sandbach had discovered prior to the ceremony that the ‘Aunt’ who brought up Jimmy was in fact his mother".

see how go, as per usual

• 2 months later...

I hate to add to your load but "Field Marshall Hague" needs a couple of firm corrections too... 

An excellent piece of research!

• 1 month later...