Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Timothy Brennan RWF/James H Kay CHESHIRE REG

Wxmnorm

VICTORY MEDALS TO THE FOLLOWING:

Timothy Brennan Royal Welsh Fusiliers 73004

James H Kay Cheshire Regiment 59722

I have added these to my collection today. First RWF medal I have owned, my great grandad served with the Royal welsh fusiliers, unfortunately it's unknown where his medals are. 

Thanks for looking, and keeping the memory of these brave men alive. 

IMG_20220902_194413_edit_28444359336804.jpg

IMG_20220902_194546_edit_28428195743578.jpg

IMG_20220902_194530_edit_28416022455038.jpg

25 minutes ago, Wxmnorm said:

VICTORY MEDALS TO THE FOLLOWING:

Timothy Brennan Royal Welsh Fusiliers 73004

James H Kay Cheshire Regiment 59722

I have added these to my collection today. First RWF medal I have owned, my great grandad served with the Royal welsh fusiliers, unfortunately it's unknown where his medals are. 

Thanks for looking, and keeping the memory of these brave men alive. 

Timothy Brennan served in France with 24th Battalion.   

The Long Long Trail has - 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) Battalion
1 March 1917 : formed in Egypt from dismounted Denbighshire Yeomanry.
1 March 1917 : came under orders of 231st Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division. Moved to France in early May 1918.
21 June 1918 : transferred to 94th Brigade, 31st Division.

James Henry Kay transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, and was renumbered 62470.

Regards.

Edited by GWF1967

• 3 weeks later...

With which RWF battalion did your grandfather serve?

Looking at the photos of both medals It struck me for the first time as to how different they are to one another. Looking at Victory's face and neck, and at her (our left) wing - they are very dissimilar. Which companies cast or struck these medals? I'd always assumed that each and every one would have been identical!

8 minutes ago, geraint said:

With which RWF battalion did your grandfather serve?

Looking at the photos of both medals It struck me for the first time as to how different they are to one another. Looking at Victory's face and neck, and at her (our left) wing - they are very dissimilar. Which companies cast or struck these medals? I'd always assumed that each and every one would have been identical!

Geraint, 

Thanks for the post, yes I see what you mean regarding the medals, I don't know if it the way I've taken the photo and shadow, as when side by side in light they look the same, apart from the one medal seems to have been polished alot more over time. My great grandad was in the 19th battallion bantams RWF William Jones 28320. 

Regards

Mark 

19th? Phew! Then he would have been led by Brigadier General Frank Percy Crozier as a Lt Col before his promotion. He wrote a book which contains loads of info on the 19th RWF. Try and find a copy of "A Brass Hat in No Mans Land" by Crozier. It'll be an eye opener.!

PS are you from Wrexham? I was born there!

Edited by geraint

4 minutes ago, geraint said:

19th? Phew! Then he would have been led by Brigadier General Frank Percy Crozier as a Lt Col before his promotion. He wrote a book which contains loads of info on the 19th RWF. Try and find a copy of "A Brass Hat in No Mans Land" by Crozier. It'll be an eye opener.!

PS are you from Wrexham? I was born there!

:-) ah a fellow Wrecsam born fantastic. Yes i was born in Wrexham, currently living in llay. My relations/ancestors scattered around the area, ancestors Lewis's in Llangollen, Jones's in Cefn mawr. 

It's a small world! Try finding Crozier's book. He wrote another "The Men I Killed" not a nice bloke - your Taid would have known!

2 hours ago, geraint said:

Try and find a copy of "A Brass Hat in No Mans Land" by Crozier. It'll be an eye opener.!

yes, a good read, definately an "I was there" book.

regarding the medals, just noticed the naming, one has the dots higher than the other, would that be normal, as if done on a mass production, the dots would be set at the same height?

43 minutes ago, chaz said:

yes, a good read, definately an "I was there" book.

regarding the medals, just noticed the naming, one has the dots higher than the other, would that be normal, as if done on a mass production, the dots would be set at the same height?

Chaz, 

Sounds a good book, I'll have to look to find a copy. Regarding medal naming I have seen other medals with similar dots in the same position. Although the medals were mass produced I believe different contractors named them, and so in cases you can get differing styles to whats considered government style naming. Medals being re named, or issues leading to a later date release of the medal could also mean a difference in naming style. :-) 

Edited by Wxmnorm
Spelling correction

Notice also, that the Brennan name is punctuated with squares; whilst the Kay one by circles. I'd still like to know whether the medals were struck by the same mint or foundry, then distributed regionally to have the 'local' names engraved or punched.