Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Victory Medal

Stratton

I am looking for my Grandfather’s Victory Medal. A Google search indicated that it has been sold on eBay in the past. I have been successful in locating his BWM and have set up saved eBay and Google searches.

Russel Earl Stratton (sometimes Russell)
231556 Private, 202nd Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Thanks.

Edited by Stratton
Spelling

You could also try medal  news magazine

15 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

You could also try medal  news magazine

That’s great, thanks for the info! I wish I started this project years ago, but I thought it was a lost cause. His sons are still with us and it would be nice to be able to present both medals to them. 

As your grandfather was a member of the CEF another site you might try to advert on is the "Canadian Medal Collectors" group on Facebook.

Canadian Medal Collectors | Facebook

Best of luck in your search ---

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

1 hour ago, Stratton said:

That’s great, thanks for the info! I wish I started this project years ago, but I thought it was a lost cause. His sons are still with us and it would be nice to be able to present both medals to them. 

Actually you are quite lucky to have found his silver War Medal, as being silver, many many of these were melted down in the early 1980's during that crazy silver craze of the time.  His Victory medal likely still exists 'somewhere out there'.

You are right @RNCVRtotal fluke actually. I googled his name to learn more about his service and someone in Calgary had the medal for sale!

Thanks for the tip re Facebook, I am not a member, but my wife is, I will get her to post something. 

• 3 weeks later...

@RNCVR

My wife tried to join the FB group, but after about 2 weeks and multiple questions, which we answered, we were asked more questions and finally just cancelled the request. 

Hi @Stratton, I have taken the liberty of posting your request on the Canadian Medal Collectors forum, however could you tell me the exact naming on his War medal pls?  I ask as the 202 Bn CEF was a broken up(for reinforcements) in UK & I expect Stratton was drafted to an active service Batt'n in UK prior to be send over to France. Thus his War & Victory medal would be named to his active service Batt'n.

Then I will adjust my post to reflect the naming on his War/Victory medal.

Thanks, Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

Hi Brian,

Thank-you so much for the help.

231556 PTE. R.E. STRATTON 50-CAN INF

He ended the war with the 50th Battalion CEF and was discharged in 1919.

Thanks,

Rod

I have sent you the link to his 1WW Service record available online from Library & Archives of Canada.