Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German ID tag Paul Dardas

trajan

Hi one and all,

I'd appreciate help with this one please!

A 1915 type, I think I have the name right, Paul Dardas, but which Friesen is he from? His unit is the Niedersächsische Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 46 so I assume  the one in Saxony, so that is the one near Reichenbach im Vogtland, Vogtlandkreis. The rest is pretty straightforward, from joining the Ersatz section, then into the main unit. He remained in 1 Kompagnie, but his service number changed from 1327 to 1289.

I am not an expert on these ID tags, but I have not seen one inscribed in 'script' form before - is that unusual or very unusual?

BTW, He is not - fortunately! - on Graebersuche...

Mant thanks - in anticipation, and corrections . additions welcome!

Julian

Dardas Friesen 01.jpg

Dardas Friesen 02.jpg

Edited by trajan
CORRECTED THE UNIT!

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 46 

??
In the first photo 1. Ers(satz) Bat(aillon) Res(erve) I(Infanterie) R(egiment) 46, 1. Komp(agnie)

In the second photo I(nfanterie) R(egiment) 46

Charlie

Yes, that's correct! I completely misread those bits... So he enlisted in the 1. Ers(satz) Bat(aillon) Res(erve) I(Infanterie) R(egiment) 46, 1. Komp(agnie) first, then was accepted / transferred into the I(nfanterie) R(egiment) 46, 1. Komp(agnie)... That's the 1. Niederschlesischen Infanterie-Regiments Nr. 46, nicht war? Thanks! 

I possibly got confused by those 'J's', thinking they were 'F's' and then not concentrating...:blush: (I don't think its Alzheimer's...:unsure: My mind wanders easily on days like today when stuck in a small flat with two teenage boys loudly playing PStation football next room...:blink:)

That aside, I see from Wikki that one of this man's NCO's was Karl Hermann Arndt, whose last two posts were in WW2 as Generalleutnant, commander of LIX.Armeekorps, when awarded the Eichenlaub to his Ritterkreuz, and finally commander of the XXXIX.Panzerkorps.

Julian

Interesting - if I have the right Dreisen, because that is in Oberpfalz, Bavaria, yet the Inf.Reg. 46 is a Prussian one... The style of the ID tag indicates 1915 issue, and he was with the unit by 10 June 1915, when wounded 

Julian

Edited by trajan

Charlie, many many thanks! Also, er war ein echter Preuße!

Julian