Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Genuine or not? (UK Victory Medal)

tankengine888

Looks like an institution - Boys and Girls Industrial Home? Probably sent to Oz not by his own choice.  A high class Aussie pedigree!

7 hours ago, SteveB said:

Hopefully the first of many! They're addictive!

I hope to buy another medal when I've saved up enough. I had to travel an hour and a half to this militaria fair!

• 1 month later...

Hello forum pals!
I started looking at the medal and the history behind the 36th Battalion only to find out that the battalion was broken apart in April 1918. Doolin returned to Australia at some point in October 1918 to which I ask;
Why is the 36th Battalion listed on the medal? 

I'll be glad for any input.
Tank.

2 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Why is the 36th Battalion listed on the medal? 

Because that is the unit he entered the war theatre with.

22 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Because that is the unit he entered the war theatre with.

Ah, cheers mate! It's all a learning process for me!

Tank.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

have a look at the above link about medals, but have a good look around Chris Baker's site , the long long trail. It has a lot of very useful information about all aspects of the First War.

many soldiers had different numbers , some ended up being re mobilized after injury, or because their original battalion was wiped out through action.

As Ivor says, the number on the medals is his first service number and regiment, his rank may have changed this could change on the war and victory medals.

Modern day medals that have numbers reflect the service personnel's one and only number even if they changed regiments.