Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major James Smart Crone Yorkshire regiment

Sam Sherborne

My Great Grandfather died two years after the war in 1920. The family story passed down is that he died from scaring to the lungs from gas. He lived on the sea front at Redcar perhaps for the air. Just wondered if there was a way to find out whether this is accurate and if it is where it took place.

Thanks

Sam Sherborne

DD60C8C7-4727-4954-98C7-B4BF301E82FA_1_201_a.jpeg

There is a pension record for him, but no cause of death (Fold3 via WFA):

CRONE.JPG.25d9c90fa001863b5cf7fa95828c3668.JPG

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

He was very active in Redcar 1919/20 so I'm surprised not to find a local paper obit? 

JP, chairman Redcar Urban Council etc.

Edited by charlie962

11/3/16   Lieut JS Crone, the well known Middlesboro stockbroker, left for the Front Tuesday. 

Oct 1916. Temp Lieut JS Crone to be Temp Capt.

Oct 1916. Temp Capt JS Crone to be Temp Major.

Edited by charlie962

War Diary 10th Bn.

12/3/16 Armentieres. Capt JS Croon reported for duty with the Bn and posted to 'B' coy. (ie not D yet).   

Somme. 1/7/16   The initial diary is thin because the CO invalided took the main report with him and it doesn't seem to have been added back later?

11/7/16   ..62nd Bde.. ordered to finish clearing of Mametz Wood.. 

14/7/16 ..in wood, attack started.. 

15/7/16 Mametz Wood.. D and C Coys sent forward under Capt Crone and Capt Goater... The road ( in front of Bezantine le Petit Wood) was taken with a few casualties..

No further mention of him in war diary 1916,early 1917.. 

Nat Archives:

"10 Battalion Yorkshire Regiment | The National Archives" https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353164

Or on Ancestry here :

"Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920" https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43849_2156_2-00048?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=4d999bd4f084b1294eaac1453d7042ad&pId=681255

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie for putting some flesh on the bones of the knowledge I have of him and for the leads. I will bite the bullet and subscribe to the archives for more detail. I have particular empathy as like me he lived in Yorkshire, was a keen rower [I have a clock he won on the Tees], and my son seems to look a lot like him-the cheek bones.

The war diaries at Nat Archives are currently free to download if you register. If their quote for copying an officer's service file seems steep then try a private researcher. 

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Somme. 1/7/16   The initial diary is thin because the CO invalided took the main report with him and it doesn't seem to have been added back later?

There is more to be gained in reading the chapter on the 10th Bn in The  Green Howards in the Great war by H C Wylly 

regarding the early days of the opening of the Somme offensive  

The Battalion were disbanded in Febuary 1918 

As  J S Crone is local to me I did a few years back research him a little

Briefly from  my notes (condensed) at the time . James was born at 5 High Street North Ormesby Middlesbrough where his parents George and Susanah  Crone had a drapers shop the family later moved to 34-36 Smeaton Street North Ormesby, which was on the corner of the High Street and Smeaton Street in North Ormesby, James will have attended Smeaton Street School during his early days

James moved to West Terrace Coatham Redcar with his parents and siblings  where he was initialy employed as a clerk for an ironmaster

later went into partnership with Todd as stock and share brokers  with offices in Middlesbrough 

889123717_toddandcrone.JPG.e68e09e9e543f7863a919676943cbf39.JPG

He married Annie Louisa Salmon and and continued to reside in Coatham Redcar

James is interred in Christ Church,  Church Cemetery Coatham along with his wife and only son

1282022625_jscrone.JPG.f16d88567b0efe405188f22ed7f02ff7.JPG

He is not commemorated on the cwgc register and is interred in a private grave (no CWGC stone)

I can only assume that his death at home was not attributed to his war service, hence no entry in the cwgc register

You could order his death cirtificate to determine the cause of death

if it can be proven that his death at home after the armistice was the result of or aggravated by his war service then his name could be put forward for inclusion on the register  

Ray

Thanks Ray. Great to have all this new information. I'll look for the gravestone next time I'm in Redcar. I stood outside where I believe he lived for a while, 49 Newcomen Terrace the other day, brilliant sea view. I'll get hold of the H C Wylly book. I didn't know that he had a boy child until recently [who must have died as baby or at birth]. He was so keen to have a boy that one of his 5 daughters was referred to as John, may be not Christened John, but we knew her as Great Aunt John.

That's a good reason to order the death certificate.

Thanks again

Sam

A couple of photos I took of Christcurch  churchyard way back in 2009

Rear view

30795292_christchurch013.JPG.cf9144d9efc79dc59b99c6d30aec3585.JPG

rear side view

267290091_SIDEREAR.JPG.f8df1f3a854deb3b5d0c8e9c59fa6e9a.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 27/08/2022 at 09:25, Sam Sherborne said:

My Great Grandfather died two years after the war in 1920. The family story passed down is that he died from scaring to the lungs from gas. He lived on the sea front at Redcar perhaps for the air. Just wondered if there was a way to find out whether this is accurate and if it is where it took place.

Thanks

Sam Sherborne

DD60C8C7-4727-4954-98C7-B4BF301E82FA_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi @Sam Sherborne

Major James Smart Crone lived in my house, Wivenhoe, and I have been researching him for a while. Unfortunately he died from appendicitis and pylephlebitis, unbelievable today given what he had just been through.  

James Smart Crone Death Certificate.pdf

Another photo I have of him and a colourised version of the one above, kindly colourised for me by local historian and author Paul menzies 

0003.jpg

277266242_296874252576541_2001094601359164233_n.jpg

Death Cirt from the link above

351836996_cronedeathcirt.JPG.d320650090e022cd955b8e29372e21d3.JPG

As an aside

The informant on the above death cirtificate  was Henry Stanley Davies who can be found on the 1911 census aged 19 residing at 35 Parliment Road Middlesbrough employed as a stockbrokers clerk  (most likley an employee of Crone)

Henry Stanley Davies served in the R.A.M.C throughout the war (service number 31515) enlisted 1/9/1914, to class Z reserves 20/3/1919

Ray

Dr Dickies Nursing Home, Ardencaple on Southfield Road, Middlesbrough, where James died, now sadly demolished. Obviously James was a wealthy individual who could afford private health care in the days before the NHS

Dr Dickies Nursing Home Southfield Road.jpg

Thanks Ray for this information. Very interesting.

J.S Crone was our great grandfather. You probably know more about him than I do but as children we met some of his children, Elsie [my grandmother], Susie [she had a 10 acre croft farm on Dartmoor and her newly married husband Cragg disappeared in a flying boat in WW2], Joy [The house keeper for a landed person in Midhurst, John [ a farmer's wife] and Mary [I think a secretary]. I have a clock and two rowing tankards that he won rowing. Otherwise we don't know very much about him. Anecdotal things such as he was desperate for a son, so much so that he named one of his daughters John. Joy gave me the clock because she knew I passionate about rowing. Joy also told me that you could see an advert for his stockbroking company as you arrived on the train in Middlesborough long after he had died.

More later. Still a bit in Christmas mode!