Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Egypt Diary 1914-1915' - the prequel to 'Gallipoli Diary'

michaeldr

Egypt Diary 1914-1915, the second volume in the trilogy of diaries by Alec Riley is now available in paperback
see
https://littlegully.com/books/egypt-diary-1914-1915  with the hardback due next month.

image.png.f26bc23728d06bc7e8aa743a9e14877d.png

I suppose that like me you have enjoyed the first book – Gallipoli Diary - and can't wait to get into the latest episode (the prequel?) of the Great War as experienced by Riley and his comrades

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michael

I picked up a copy from Mike at the GA Conference on Saturday. I'm looking forward to reading it and also the last in the trilogy covering Riley's time at Netley, which Mike says should be out before Christmas. Unfortunately, he signed my book so it's probably not worth as much now :)!

Best wishes

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm very sorry that long-standing family commitments kept me from the Gallipoli Association Conference this year; hopefully next year the date will return to its usual October slot.
Great news about the third volume of Riley's diary.

All the best
Michael

• 1 month later...

Great- I bought the previous book and I'm looking forward to this one. I've started my Masters Degree in WW1 Studies with Birmingham University. I have a dissertation to write and I'm toying with the idea on how well the 42nd Division were trained for war. As evidence , I may refer to this contents of this book, would you have any objections to that?  

My own book is coming along, most of the reserach has been completed. 

Regards

I imagine that if your dissertation is fully referenced with comprehensive footnotes, acknowledgements and credits, then the editors of Alec Riley's diary (Messrs Crane & de Broglio) can have no objection whatsoever to your using it in your work.

Good luck with your studies. 

On 02/11/2022 at 01:19, Gingerfreak said:

Great- I bought the previous book and I'm looking forward to this one. I've started my Masters Degree in WW1 Studies with Birmingham University. I have a dissertation to write and I'm toying with the idea on how well the 42nd Division were trained for war. As evidence , I may refer to this contents of this book, would you have any objections to that?  

My own book is coming along, most of the reserach has been completed. 

Regards

I'm one of the editors. I hope Riley's diary proves useful. He was a good observer and note taker. Our motivation in publishing Riley's diary was to ensure his valuable account was available to researchers.

You may know of this event already, but the Gallipoli Association has a talk in November on the 42nd Division.

https://www.gallipoli-association.org/events/42nd-division-at-gallipoli/

Look forward to reading the fruits of your research!

9 hours ago, b3rn said:

I'm one of the editors. I hope Riley's diary proves useful. He was a good observer and note taker. Our motivation in publishing Riley's diary was to ensure his valuable account was available to researchers.

You may know of this event already, but the Gallipoli Association has a talk in November on the 42nd Division.

https://www.gallipoli-association.org/events/42nd-division-at-gallipoli/

Look forward to reading the fruits of your research!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I'm part of the association and booked in for this talk. looking forward to it. I'm also friends with Hugh Darlington, the grandson of H.C. Darlington. We some times discuss the book i'm writing. I have a database on the 1/5th, it contains over 3000 men that served with them during the war. I have another one that covers the period between 1859 and 1908. 

I've contacted the Liddle Collection in Leeds and they are trawlling thier archive as we speak. 

Regards

• 4 months later...

The third book in the series "Netley Diary 1915-1916" has now been published and a copy has just arrived through the letterbox. It appears Alec Riley's time at Netley coincides with when my grandfather was there which will help a great deal to colour the picture of what the hospital was like for him.

Alan

Great, I'll look for ir.