Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search South African Serviceman WW1

Ronald Jenkins

I am searching for a Serviceman,  with the South African Army WW1.   That is Edward McCevrican  ( born : 1879  -  Died :  sometime after 1940).   McCevrican was a Welsh Immigrant to South Africa, he served during the First World War, was presented with Sercive Medals.

Edited by Ronald Jenkins

• Admin

You say he was presented with service medals, do you have these? McCevrican doesn’t  sound  a very Welsh name! 

18 minutes ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Well spotted Alf-  Looks like the one family came from Merthyr.  No other trace of where they came from or where they went.  I suspect that it was Irish labouring and came in for the coal.

Railway tunnelling and canal and viaduct construction too, I understand.  Apparently in England itinerant family groups also did dry stone walling, but I don’t know if that was also the case in Wales.  It does seem quite an unusual name.  I always find the extent of the diaspora and the social connotations really interesting.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Herewith his probate and death notice records - confirms born in South Wales in 1879. If you want his SA WWI service records then write to the SANDF Documentation Centre in Pretoria.

McKevrican.jpg

McKevrican.jpg1.jpg

Hello Alf,,,   thank you for taking the time to visit my query and your comment !   I am fairly certain of the name (McCevrican) it is recorded on a marriage certificate of 1901. 

2 minutes ago, Ronald Jenkins said:

Hello Alf,,,   thank you for taking the time to visit my query and your comment !   I am fairly certain of the name (McCevrican) it is recorded on a marriage certificate of 1901. 

It’s not impossible that all three names are the same man.  It wasn’t uncommon for men who did not want to be traced easily to use subtle differences.  They were very different times.

7 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Perhaps Edward's mother had a broad Irish accent, and the census enumerator wrote down what he thought he heard from her.

Regards,

Alf McM

Yes, there’s all kinds of reasons why such errors were made, I agree Alf.

I cannot find a connection to the terrible Irish :)

The problem seems to be transcriptions

I think this is his birth

CAVRICAN  Edward    Pontypridd  11a 354

btnInfo.gif

And the censuses are down to interpretation. I think they are all same

mccev.jpg.8e8847f7acc0964dd68daafccc39c52d.jpg

And we know he died as McKevrican

He appears to have died "Single" so I am unsure where the OPs marriage in 1901 comes from - it would be useful to see a scan of that Marriage Cert

The only other thing I could find was that in 1929 he came to UK from S Africa, and was visiting Rev O Owen in Caeran. It could have been to do with the death of one of his parents

12 minutes ago, corisande said:

I cannot find a connection to the terrible Irish :)

The problem seems to be transcriptions

I think this is his birth

CAVRICAN  Edward    Pontypridd  11a 354

btnInfo.gif

And the censuses are down to interpretation. I think they are all same

mccev.jpg.8e8847f7acc0964dd68daafccc39c52d.jpg

And we know he died as McKevrican

He appears to have died "Single" so I am unsure where the OPs marriage in 1901 comes from - it would be useful to see a scan of that Marriage Cert

The only other thing I could find was that in 1929 he came to UK from S Africa, and was visiting Rev O Owen in Caeran. It could have been to do with the death of one of his parents

Many people couldn’t spell then, just as many can’t spell now.  Plus ça change!  The enumerators were probably working for the minimum wage 😉

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 25/08/2022 at 18:03, Rory Reynolds said:

Herewith his probate and death notice records - confirms born in South Wales in 1879. If you want his SA WWI service records then write to the SANDF Documentation Centre in Pretoria.

McKevrican.jpg

McKevrican.jpg1.jpg

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, there’s all kinds of reasons why such errors were made, I agree Alf.

On 25/08/2022 at 07:23, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Check your details.    Free BMD shows no-one  ever born, married or died with that surname of that spelling.   A search with wildcards for births from 1877 to 1881 (2 years either side of your date of birth) shows nothing even anywhere close.  

Please check, your source reference  as this does not look right.

Hello Alan,   thank you for taking an interest in my post (regarding Edward McKevrican) and posting a reply  !  Indeed I am very grateful to you as the 2 Documents you posted are the Person I was seeking !   ( I had been searching for McCevrican  'C'  as a marriage certificate of Edwards sister, spelt with a 'C'.)   Edward was born in the Rhondda Valley in 1879 son of a collier and he was a coal miner.  It was known in our family that Edward had gone to South Africa.  He visited South Wales just before WWII and was 'flush' with money buying drinks all round,,, !    

Another couple of peices to the JigSaw,,,,  Thank you again Alan.

Regards,

Ronald Jenkins   

Thanking you Gentlemen above for responding to my initial search, your comments have been fantastic thank you !   Indeed Edward McKevrican has been found with your help.    RORY REYNOLDS,,, thank you for attaching the 2 Death related Certificates !  Very useful information   Also,  'corisande'  you are 'dead on correct with regards to Edward visiting South Wales in 1929,  If you have any Documents of this visit,, please send to me ?  Also,,, Edward McKevrican was a witness at his sisters Wedding in 1901.     Excellent information,,, thank you all !        

What I do know (prior to info above) is that Edward McKevrican was a younger Brother to my Great Grandmother. He was born in Cymmer-Porth, near Pontypridd in the Rhondda Valley in 1879,  I think he was a Coal Miner as was his Father Edwin. He emigrated to South Africa, perhaps first Decade of 20th Century.  ( I think he served in WWI with SA Army ?)   He was witness at his sisters marriage to Owen John Owen in 1901.  Indeed he did return to visit Wales (Caerau-Maesteg, Glamorgan)  although I thought it was 1939  (1929 ??).  On the sisters marriage Certificate below of 1901 the family name is McC.  On Edwards Death Cert,, it is McK

Once again,  thank you Gentlemen,,,,  If you have any Documentation or Certificates etc,,,  please send on to me,   I would greatly appreciate  !  

Ronald Jenkins Jnr

Marriage Edith McCevrican to Owen John Owens(1).jpeg

Name
Edward McKevrican
Birth
abt 1876
Departure
South Africa Via Madeira
Arrival
8 Jul 1929 Southampton, England

1929.jpg.c9b847d21113dac83b4a30c1c1431c1c.jpg

I now know that he was going to see his sister :)

I had been thrown by your reference to a 1901 marriage, and thought you meant his. But nothing came up, and he died "Single"

corisande,,,,  Dear Sir,  thank you once again for your message !   The visit by Edward McKevrican, was often talked about by my late Grandfather.   So a very interesting piece of information from the Sailing Ship log !

Thank you !

Ron Jenkins

Owen Parch Owen.  Husband of Edith McKevrickan..jpg

On 25/08/2022 at 07:46, alf mcm said:

There are a couple of records on Ancestry for Edward McKevrican, dorn 1876, died 1943 {nothing military}.

UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 - Ancestry.co.uk

And a small number of McKevrican's on Freebmd, but no Edward.

Regards,

Alf McM

To :  Alf McM,    Thank you for your comment Alf,  and taking an interest !  Is 'spot on'  !