Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Counting latrines to estimate rear area troop strength?

Felix C

Mate,

Looks like we trod the same paths.

Yes I would agree.

We once formed what was call the 1st Media Support Unit back in the 80's, which I had the sad duty to help form and run. on operations we also had the soldiers dig the standard holes for front and back uses for that, but also an extra two boggers for the press, (Male and Female)

The blow flys (the Press) came and went as they stayed for briefing, or as many did they sat around drinking coffee and reported what we gave them. (Joe B used to call it "feeding the chooks")

Now how possibly could any aerial photo show how many men/women were using the factilities, other then a guess?

Cheers

S.B

My apologies for wandering so far from the initial rear area question.   The Royal Engineers would have had to do some calculations in planning rear area headquarters, encampments, training centres, such as the Tankodrome and Infantry training centre at Etaples.   I would imagine they would have plumbed many of the more permanent sites, like GHQ BEF and those at Etaples in fact I seem to recall seeing an image of a sewerage treatment plant.   I have seen reference to an Engineer-In-Chief document that mentioned/showed standardised designs for BEF loo's and importantly barrack accommodation areas.  

The answers will be in the respective Engineer-In-Chief for GHQ BEF and the Lines of Communications documents, if they have survived.   I would even go to the design and construction documents for camps created in the UK during the war, as they will be very similar/same as those built in France.  

I am sorry I can't help for the time being with more specific information, but a post war publication "Work of the Royal Engineers: Director of Works"(?) which has excellent reproductions of various facilities and designs comes to mind.

Cheers,

Chris

Mate,

You had my going back throw my old Text books on regs for field defences and such, because as a SNCO/WO we had to site these things for use by our units.

For the life of me I could not find where they mention for siting a crapper /p/phone for how persons to use them

While it does mention you have to build/dig one for your unit (and the many differant types you can build) and siting it away from the normal areas, it does not say how many could/can use it?

That maybe in a book higher then I have all I have is for Sqn/Company use.

S.B

After further thought, the answer on calculating the number of seats/latrines required, and the general direction on siting of latrines, will be amongst DG Medical/Health manuals/documents.  As it is a fundamental sanitation issue, the DG/ADG Medical Services was responsible for supervising sanitation and sanitation soldiers were a Medical Corps employment category ("Blowflies" in theAustralian Army vernacular).