Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

familyhistoryman

I am researching James William Shorrock (East Lancashire Regiment) who was taken POPW on 5 May 1917 at Lampre (where was that) and I am trying to locate his medal roll index card. According the the Red Cross records (see attached image) his number was 202327 but I cannot find his Medal Roll Index Card. 

I appreciate any help you can give.

Regards, Tony

GBM_ICRC_C_G1_E_04_01_0057_0042.jpg

Census and electoral roll  seems to show a fair few Shorrock  folk living in Cemetery Road Darwin in 1910/ 1911.  Searching the census not my strongpoint but I’m sure you know the road Tony? 

16 hours ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

I suggest you check the medal rolls (most conveniently on Ancestry) both for his name and for his service number. 

16 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Released pows from Germany arrived in England.

East Lancs

Shorrock JW 242802 (Darwen)

Have searched the Medal Rolls for both 202327 and 242802 and have drawn a blank.

Searching on James Shorrock comes up with #52031 and #200840

22 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Have searched the Medal Rolls for both 202327 and 242802 and have drawn a blank.

Searching on James Shorrock comes up with #52031 and #200840

Agreed. I had same result.

1901 and 1911 Census etc shows there was a James Wm Shorrock in Cemetery St but difficult to track. There was also a J W Shorrock in the KOSB from Darwen.

Edited by charlie962

Many thanks to everyone who has helped

The first think to say is that Shorrock is a common name in the Darwen area. The information I have on James William Shorrock is:

Son of James Shorrock and Florence Mabel (nee Walsh)

1901 Census: 121 Cemetery Rod -

1911 Census: 56 Cemetery Rd - Cotton weaver

The Darwen News Saturday, June 23, 1917

Private J W Shorrock Information has been received by Mrs Shorrock, of 83 Cemetery Road, that Private J W Shorrock was reported missing and believed to be a prisoner of war on May 11th. Private Shorrock joined the East Lancashire Regiment on the 20th of May, 1916, and went to Egypt in January of this year, being transferred to France in March. He is 19 years of age, and his father is serving at Salonica.

Further official information was to hand yesterday from a colleague, who says: - “About midnight I went out with my section to relieve another section in an advanced post in the centre of the wood. The section was split up, and manned three shell-holes, two in each shell-hole. There were about ten yards interval between each shell-hole. Nothing of importance occurred up to about 2.30pm on the following day, when one of our men saw a party of German, about ten in strength, making for the right hand corner of the wood. We immediately fired on the party, and they extended and commenced to creep up to our position, giving us rifle fire and bombs. The next thing I heard was the Germans call out, ‘come out,’ and I looked up and saw about six Germans standing over the shell-hole in which was Private Shorrock. On hearing the Germans shout he got out of the trench and held his hands up. The Germans then took him away.”

In light of the newspaper report stating that he first went to Egypt I am coming around to view that the Medal and Awards Roll has him as James William Shorrocks 5177, 242802 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment. I welcome your views on this.

According to the Red Cross record he was taken POW at Lampre but I cannot find this place on any maps. I have downloaded the 1/5th War Dairy which makes no mention of any action on 11 Mat 1917. any suggestions? 

As a side note James William's father - James - served in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry 

Regards, Tony

• Admin

Could Lampre be LEMPIRE? Does it not give their position in the War diary, normally they write where they are. 
EDIT, looking at casualties, there’s two 1/5 men from 11/5/17 buried in Villers-Faucon which isn’t a million miles from Lempire. 

• Admin
  • Admin

11/5/17 patrol went out to reconnoitre Gillemont Farm

12/5/17 Enemy shellled Tombois Farm, Gillemont Farm, and Lempire. 

Thanks for the suggestion of Lempire.

On reading the war diary again for the 11th May 1917 it states "Battalion in line day fairly quiet Patrol sent out to reconnoitre Gillemont Farm

The entry for the following day mentions enemy shelling ... Lempire ... enemy capturing one of our outposts.

Using the diary and the newspaper report it seems that James was captured in the early hours of 12th may

Tony

Doesn't it just demonstrate the huge void between a list of units, dates, even war diary etc and a report from a colleague. So much we will never know.

4 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

light of the newspaper report stating that he first went to Egypt I am coming around to view that the Medal and Awards Roll has him as James William Shorrocks 5177, 242802 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment. I welcome

Given that we know he was a returned pow per the caslist I posted earlier, this is the best fit. But odd not to find more.

Carlie962, Thanks