Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Storage Chest

Relder123

Hello,

my father has told us this chest was a storage chest for his grandfather during the Great War. I wanted to know if this is true and If it has any value to it. Thank you!

80A990E5-AD77-4652-87A2-670F5E157011.jpeg

30919A3A-E389-4F7E-AD3C-FC8D56D6DD09.jpeg

....... based on the family lore it already has significant sentimental value.  That said, the absence of any personal identification marks and overall construction makes it seem an unlikely candidate.  Most campaign items were more practically robust and business-like.  It may have been a post war repository for his war time memorabilia and confused as otherwise by your father?

Edited by TullochArd

I can’t see your average private soldier taking this to the Western front with him. Was your relative somebody of note or Significant rank?

22 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

....... based on the family lore it already has significant sentimental value.  That said, the absence of any personal identification marks and overall construction makes it seem an unlikely candidate.  Most campaign items were more practically robust and business-like.  It may have been a post war repository for his war time memorabilia and confused as otherwise by your father?

Thanks for the response, that makes sense to me. I clarified with him and he says he is not sure and somewhat agrees with you, but thinks it was a naval locker and might have been refurbished at some point. 

9 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

I can’t see your average private soldier taking this to the Western front with him. Was your relative somebody of note or Significant rank?

My father seems to think it was a locker on a naval ship during the time and was possibly refurbished. 

I was wondering if it was used at home to store his personal items whilst he was away at war? That could've given rise to confusion.