Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arabic numbers next to Roman numbers re German Armee Korps - what does it mean?

Rafael

Hello,

I was wandering whether someone can help me to understand what does an arabic number means next to the roman German Amree Korps.

I am attaching a photo.

As far as I understand it is 1. Batallion of Landsturm Allenstein from XX Armee Korps, but it is confusing me that arabic number 1. Then below number 6 and 12.

It can not be number of the Army, as 1st and 6th Army fought on different front.

So any ideas?

Kind regards,

Rafael

Arabic & Roman numbers.jpg

Landsturm battalions were numbered within the Armeekorps that raised them. Most battalions also had the name of the city in which they were recruited. Some cities had more than one battalion, like Hamburg to give just one example. Hamburg had 3 Bataillone and 5 Ersatz-Bataillone. They were named 1. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Hamburg IX/9, 2. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Hamburg IX/10 etc. These numbers could be found on the uniform collars from 1915 onwards (IIRC).

Jan

Dear Charlie and Jan,

Thank you very much!

However, with the greatest respect, Jan you confused me more now.

If, in your example 1. Landsturm- Infanterie Batallion Hamburg was in IX Armee Korps, why number 9?

In that case what was ??? (arabic number) Landsturm - Infanterie Batallion (name of the city) in IX Armee Korps and then number 1?

In my photo the that was 1. Landsturm - Infanteire Batallion Allenstein in XX Armee Korps but number 1 given by XX Armee Koprs?

And the next is 1. Landsturm - Infanterie Batallion Deutsch Eylau but number 6 given by XX Armee Korps ?

And so on?

Perhaps there is a list of Landsturms Batallions in each Armee Korps?

Kind regards,

Rafael

Rafael,

Battalions were numbered within each Armeekorps and then certain cities had more than one battalion, hence XI/9 1. Hamburg, which was the 9th battalion within the IX. Armeekorps, and the 1st of Hamburg.

The book you need for a complete overview is this one: https://militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=8800000&Language=de

Jan