Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pozieres battlefield - Yarra Bend near the Old German lines

delta

Grateful for assistance.

In the Tanks at Flers, Trevor Pidgeon refer to the Yarra Bend which joined the Old German (OG) Lines 1 and 2, to the north of the remains of the Windmill. 

Could someone please let me have a grid reference or a map of the trench 

Thanks in advance.

I also noted the grid reference M. 24. b for Yarra Bend, given in Rats Alley.  However, I am not convinced this is the same.  It is located to the east of Eaucourt L'Abbaye.  The OP is quoting a reference in a chapter in Pidgeon's book relating to the action by the Canadian Division and it does state that the junction referred to was around R35c. 05. 65 which is much closer to the Windmill.  I will need to re-read about the action in question but my recollection is that no tanks (let alone those supporting the Canadians) got anywhere near M. 24. b. at that time.  Pidgeon ackowledges there is a lot of confusion about the report in the war diary which refers to Yarra Bend.  Maybe there is something that might help contained within the Canadian diaries?

Eaucourt bottom left. Yarra Bend and Yarra Support centre right

Yarra.jpg

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Thank you all

There were a couple of tanks near the Bayonet Trench on 18 Oct but, as Don says, Trevor was describing the action on one month earlier between Pozieres and Courcelette. 

The war diary of the 2nd Aus. Pioneer Bn. states that they dug a 270 yard extension of Sydney Street trench to connect it with Yarra Bend on Aug. 26, 1916. The location of Sydney Street, north of the eastern end of Pozieres village, is marked on the map below (p. 532, Bean, The AIF in France, 1916). I suspect that "Yarra Bend" refers to the curve in the OG lines NW of the Windmill.

Sydney Street.jpg

Edited by Gerald Moore

• 2 months later...

A fellow researcher in New Zealand has located a map of the Bayonet trench area dated 29? Dec 1916 

This shows a tank hulk near Yarra Bend and I am wondering whether this could be Stuart Hastie's tank which bellied during the attack on 18 Oct 1916 

Bayonet trench map with tank hulk.jpg

There are several maps of various dates on TrenchMapper, e.g. right click, choose Map ID jump with id=m_012075

or put the map reference in the box on the left:- 57c.M.24.b then select from the map list.

(Map references should not have the shaeet quadrant like SW1)

Howard