Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four Days of the Yzer 2022 - Cemeteries en route

Marilyne

good morning all, 

So next week starts the four Days of the Yzer... and I've had a look at the maps for this year. Right now writing down a bit of stuff in order to entertain the troops en route and give a bit of a history lesson now and then. 

We are passing the following CWGC cemeteries and I'm willing to lake some pictures for you. 

Tuesday, 23/8: COXYDE MILITARY CEMETERY

Thursday, 25/8: 

• 9 ELMS CEMETERY
  • HARINGHE (BANDAGHEM) MILITARY CEMETERY

Friday, 26/8:

• VOORMEZELE ENCLOSURES
  • SPOILBANK CEMETERY
  • CHESTER FARM CEMETERY
  • TUILERIES CEMETERY

We are based in Poperinge, so if other graves are needed in Poperinge, you can ask. 

Also on Saturday, I plan - pending agreement of Boyfriend - to hop over to TYNE COT and POLYGON WOOD before driving home... 

Have a great WE, 

M.

While we're at it..; Chester Farm is the last resting place of actor E.J. Carlos. Do we know something about this guy ?? 

M.

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

While we're at it..; Chester Farm is the last resting place of actor E.J. Carlos. Do we know something about this guy ?? 

M.

I presume you mean Ernest Stafford Carlos the Artist?

image.png

Image courtesy FMP Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 9 July 1917

Apparently I do... there are some mistakes in some sites I consulted that say he was an actor, but after now cross-checking with Paul Reed's "Walking Ypres" ... you are right ! 

Thanks!

M.

I have definitely got some at Haringhe. I'll add names to this post later. Im just about to take the family out.

Of course they are not ready so have had a quick scan and will add names for Nine Elms and Voormezele too

Edited by temptage

Haringhe

I. F. 19.              KIMBER, ANTHONY
I. F. 24.              CUSSONS, HARRY
II. F. 7.               HALL , ALFRED JOHN
V. C. 17.            SMITH, FREDERICK JESSE
V. D. 5.              KERMAN, FREDERIC JAMES
V. D. 37.            EDWARDS, CHARLES WALTER

Nine Elms

I. A. 12             PERRIN, JAMES WILLIAM
I. D. 5               SANDS, GEORGE ROBERT

VOORMEZEELE ENCLOSURES NO.1 AND NO.2

I. D. 9              NELSON, GEORGE
I. H. 35            MASHFORD, JOHN WILLIAM
I. K. 14            DRYDEN, HARRY

Noted!! 

just send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send them per wetransfer after the week. 

M.

14 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Noted!! 

just send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send them per wetransfer after the week. 

M.

Done

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon all, 

beside Temptage's requests, I visited a couple of other graves and places and thought some of you might want a couple of pics. 

On the first day, the day of Oostduinkerke, we passed on the road opposite the monument to the Belgian 4th Army Division: The 4th contained the 13th Line Regiment, the only regiment of the division still in existence today, albeit amalgamated with the 12th Line. It's the oldest infantry regiment of the Belgian Army. 

DSC07635.JPG.7804cb129ad8512520885c3a37bebfc9.JPG

on day two we payed our respects to the Fusiliers Marins of Diksmuide, as we do every year. 

DSC07736.JPG.adfbf5c37745d7d2c7ffd629a9c5619d.JPG

Also on day three, the day of Poperinge, we passed Nine Elms Cemetery, where we visited the grave of Dave Gallaher, the first captain of the All Blacks. 

DSC07761.JPG.fb1c572168a87281cd5b060c9be6e00d.JPG

Later in the day, we passed Haringhe (Bandaghem) cemetery, where lay Sgt Maj Furlinger, Sapper Johnson and Sapper Farrier, Albert medal recipients for their heroic actions on an ammunition train in Pops, on the 30th April 1918. 

DSC07780.JPG.c1d87c7e8b94fd11970df9fd4b4061dc.JPG

On day 4, the Day of Ypres, there was a lot to see, but unfortunately, we did not have the time to stay too long. First stop was Voormezele Enclosure Nb 3 (the route was changed and we did not pass Nb 1&2...) and the grave of "Peter Pan". we had a couple of kids with us who looked quite interested when we told them we were going to visit Peter Pan. 

DSC07881.JPG.3d99a4fc7eb2b2acbb9fe946e7ff6280.JPG

We had 11 o'clock tea on hill 60 and then passed the ever-impressive Hooge Crater Cemetery and the to me yet unknown Tuileries Cemetery, which I must say impressed me very much. 

DSC07904.JPG.ed24c69e1d5aacfb189651b274865bd2.JPG

DSC07910.JPG.cab1d5d476a82359bf47474923773be8.JPG

Hopefully I won't have to wait a whole year before being able to roam the battlefields in search for the perfect picture... 

M;