Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G/6569 Pte Alfred Walter Pelling, R Suss R

Woodsman

Hi all,

I'm trying to track down the medals and memorial plaque of G/6569 Pte Alfred Walter Pelling, Royal Sussex Regiment.

He died of wounds 27th Jan 1917 serving with the 11th battalion. He was born in Westfield and lived in Brede, East Sussex.

I've tried many of the usual routes - British medal forum, Medal Tracker, contacting dealers and a handful of local collectors I've made acquaintance with - but to no avail so far. Alfred's BWM was listed on WW1-medals.com in Oct 2019, and may have been sold at the Britannia medal fair around that time. 

Any information as to the whereabouts of his medals or memorial plaque would be greatly appreciated. I'm keen to acquire them if at all possible.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hello Phil. I thought I would let you know how my family recovered an ancestors Indian Mutiny Medal from auction last year.

We, like you, had registered with the BMF and Medal Tracker but also had it registered in 'Saved Searches' on ebay and 'Auction Alerts' on 'the sale room'. The latter list hundreds of auctions from across the UK. By doing this you receive notification if your medals are listed on either site. .  

I hope that is of interest. Gunner. 

Edited by Coldstreamer

Medal tracker is in medal news magazine

17 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hello Phil. I thought I would let you know how my family recovered an ancestors Indian Mutiny Medal from auction last year.

We, like you, had registered with the BMF and Medal Tracker but also had it registered in 'Saved Searches' on ebay and 'Auction Alerts' on 'the sale room'. The latter list hundreds of auctions from across the UK. By doing this you receive notification if your medals are listed on either site. .  

I hope that is of interest. Gunner. 

Hi Gunner, very interesting, thanks. It's encouraging to hear that you found your ancestors medal; how long were you searching for it? I do have alerts on eBay but hadn't thought of doing the same on 'the saleroom'; I'll look into doing this.

Thanks again,

Phil 

Also the website invaluable

EasyLive is another, much like the Saleroom.

https://www.easyliveauction.com

I found my Great Uncle’s Victory Medal on Ebay in February this year, which was about two years after I’d first set up various alerts there. Never really thought anything would actually turn up but miracles happen, hang on in there.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I'd not come across EasyLive before so will add that to the list of sites I regularly check. MartyG, great news that you found your Great Uncle's Victory medal - must have been a great feeling! I've been looking for Alfred's medals for nearly 3 years, and will keep on looking!

3 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I'd not come across EasyLive before so will add that to the list of sites I regularly check. MartyG, great news that you found your Great Uncle's Victory medal - must have been a great feeling! I've been looking for Alfred's medals for nearly 3 years, and will keep on looking!

Was a terrific feeling, yes. Good luck with your search.