Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locating map references on modern map

Lee Bradbury

I’m trying to locate an area between two map references, relating to an attack on Lower Star Point in Shrewsbury Forest, Ypres Salient, in August 1917; I’d like to be able to identify the locations on a modern map if possible.

Through other’s posts I’ve located, roughly, where Lower Star Post but I’m finding it difficult to find these two map references (having numerical dyslexia really doesn’t help!).

The numbers, from the 8th Buffs war diary, are:

J25 B.30.40 & J25. C.8010.

I’m also trying to locate Canada Street Tunnels, which I assume are close by.

Thank you.

Hi Lee,

Here are all four, courtesy of The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper.  Canada Street Tunnels is at top left, Lower Star Post is shown and NE of that is 50.829958, 2.959450, or 28.J.25.b30.40.  S of Lower Star Post is 50.824150, 2.955081 or 28.J.25.c.80.10.  Click to enlarge or visit https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/trenchmapper-public/.

image.png.be5b405c87fd9a150103aa814805aa8f.png

14 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Lee,

Here are all four, courtesy of The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper. 

Thank you very much, that’s greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Lee,

Here are all four, courtesy of The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper.  Canada Street Tunnels is at top left, Lower Star Post is shown and NE of that is 50.829958, 2.959450, or 28.J.25.b30.40.  S of Lower Star Post is 50.824150, 2.955081 or 28.J.25.c.80.10.  Click to enlarge or visit https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/trenchmapper-public/.

image.png.be5b405c87fd9a150103aa814805aa8f.png

Sorry mate but I’m having a really dumb moment right now!

Is Lower Star Post (LSP) to the left or right side of that line between the markers? I can see where it’s written on the map but I’m wondering if the blue mark on the map (I’ve circled it in green) is LSP with the jump-off line just in front of it otherwise CST & the jump-off line are either side of LSP which sounds odd to me.

Sorry for sounding dumb, in my defence I was up all night looking gaffer my Wife, being a full time Carer taxes the brain sometimes.

C7A1DAF8-AEA3-410F-A6DB-9908DFB10C42.jpeg

Edited by Lee Bradbury
Added photo

7 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:

Lower Star Post

is at 25. b. 2. 1 - the junction on the left hand "side" of your green circle

5 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

is at 25. b. 2. 1 - the junction on the left hand "side" of your green circle

Thank you very much Don.

Do you know how far the tunnels went out towards Shrewsbury Forest or anything about their layout at all? I tried Google but end up with Vimy Ridge results.

Once again, thank you.

2 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:

how far the tunnels went out towards Shrewsbury Forest or anything about their layout at al

Lee, looks like the longest one was around 75 metres long if these series of maps are correct.  You're probably aware that the small blue blocks with a 'C' next to one of them are concrete bunkers - absent at Hedge St Tunnels.  Often a unit war diary has the rough outline and an engineering or tunnelling company diary might just have the construction data for you.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.c1357e4d62f22f2ade138b9c39534ae6.png

Please excuse my gatecrashing this thread, but I have a particular interest in Hedge Street Tunnels, from where the 3rd Rifle Brigade launched their attack on the opening day of Third Ypres, and I wondered if either of you could tell me the name of the "Avenue" that is partially shown in the botton left? I don't seem to be able to make the tech work to show it.

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Lee, looks like the longest one was around 75 metres long if these series of maps are correct.  You're probably aware that the small blue blocks with a 'C' next to one of them are concrete bunkers - absent at Hedge St Tunnels.  Often a unit war diary has the rough outline and an engineering or tunnelling company diary might just have the construction data for you.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.c1357e4d62f22f2ade138b9c39534ae6.png

Bill, I didn’t know any of that, thank you very much.

57 minutes ago, sassenach said:

tell me the name of the "Avenue"

It would have to be Plumer - I'll edit the post with an apology if I'm wrong!

Edit:  I'm way off - it is Morland Avenue.

image.png.e02ba94c1177c194fc1c1b8440154e0b.png

Edited by WhiteStarLine

19 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

It would have to be Plumer - I'll edit the post with an apology if I'm wrong!

Edit:  I'm way off - it is Morland Avenue.

image.png.e02ba94c1177c194fc1c1b8440154e0b.png

Thanks; much appreciated.

Lee

The July/August WD of 24 Div HQ GS WO 95/2191 has a number of maps showing Shrewsbury Forest. (Ancestry Piece 2191 pages 13, 88, 336 and a close up on p 362. I have chosen the map on p 88 because it is 1:20 000 and can be compared with the Belgian IGN (or NGI if you speak Flemish) Sheet 28 1-2 Poperinge-Ieper 1:20 000 and Sheet 28 3-4 Zonnebeke-Moorslede 1:20 000. The position is right on the divide of the two IGN maps.

Courtesy TNA WO 95/2191.

Brian

24 HQGS.jpg

IGN.JPG

15 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Lee

The July/August WD of 24 Div HQ GS WO 95/2191 has a number of maps showing Shrewsbury Forest.

Once again, thank you very much Brian. Your help, along with everyone else’s, has been extremely helpful.

3 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hello Lee, Lower Star Post map from the 17 Infantry Brigade WD.

Thank you Brian, I wouldn’t have found that. 

7 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:

Thank you Brian, I wouldn’t have found that. 

Lee

It was Bob not me. Good find.

Brian

5 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Lee

Brian

You’re right, sorry ‘bout that…in my defence I’m dumb!

Bob, thank you!

• Admin
10 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:
10 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Lee

Brian

You’re right, sorry ‘bout that…in my defence I’m dumb!

Bob, thank you!

Always happy to help chaps, I know Brian would have found it soon enough, if he had not already! Cheers, Bob.