'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Balkan Army 1915-1918.'

Anyone know if this book is out yet

Thanks

Glyn

'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Balkan Army 1915-1918.'

Anyone know if this book is out yet

Thanks

Glyn

I assume it is available now, Glyn. A Google search using "Under the Devil's Eye" will come up with details of a few suppliers so presumably they do have it in stock.

Tom

If you do a search on this site you will see a few reviews on this book from some time ago. Get it asap from amazon or some such and read and enjoy.

Its authors are members of this forum.

regards

Arm.

Tom / Terry

Thank You

Found it - should have looked properly first time.

Glyn

Arm

Thanks - Will order it in the morning

Look forward to enjoying it as much as you.

Glyn

Hope you guys enjoy the book. Simon Moody and I are now working on a similar volume for Mesopotamia, which should be published in March 2007.

ALAN

It's an excellent book and I would commend it to all.

I look forward to something on Mesopotamia - are Alan and Simon planning a field trip?

Good to see Mespot is going to get some coverage, but could you write a tad faster please 2007 is a bloody long time away.

regards

Arm.

Well Arm,

I am afraid that writing the book in our own time (evenings and weekends) means that Alan and I won't be able to produce anything much faster! :) It takes time to gather the sources together from all over the place. However, we already have the structure in place and have started to map out the chapters and started researching.

On the subject of field trips, neither Alan or I are keen to star on Arab TV in an orange jump suit minus our heads! Seriously, it depends on the situation out there but things are just too iffy at the moment to contemplate a trip.

Thanks for the review of UTDE!

Regards

Simon Moody

Well Arm,

I am afraid that writing the book in our own time (evenings and weekends) means that Alan and I won't be able to produce anything much faster!  :) It takes time to gather the sources together from all over the place. However, we already have the structure in place and have started to map out the chapters and started researching.

On the subject of field trips, neither Alan or I are keen to star on Arab TV in an orange jump suit minus our heads! Seriously, it depends on the situation out there but things are just too iffy at the moment to contemplate a trip.

Thanks for the review of UTDE!

Regards

Simon Moody

Sorry Simon,

I can not buy that old chestnut as a valid excuse. Just get scribbling and knuckle down :P

regards

Arm..

• 11 months later...

Just got mine today from Play.com. Looking forward to tea-breaks at work already so I can get stuck into it. Having not long finished the 7th Bn Wilts Regt war diary hopefully this book will bring the WD entries to life.

Looking at the maps I now know where "Swindon Hill" is.

Looks like a family holiday to Salonika will have to be planned.

You are in for a treat then Owen, as co-author Alan Wakefield's grandfather served with the 7th Wiltshires.

My grandfather was in the same brigade.

That'll be Herbert Dolman then? Mentioned in the Dedication.

Looks good, been flicking through it. Wish I had it last week when I was off sick.

PS I see you get a Thank You in there Kate.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

I hope you are going to cover Air activity as I would love to finally find out what the RNAS and 212 Squadron did out there. My grandfather made reference to bombing the Bulgars and Constantinople when operating from Stavros flying DH9s.

Cheers,

Rob

I'm just writing a review of a new book - "Battles on the Tigris - the Mesopotamian campaign of the First World War" by Ron Wilcox. Published by Leo Cooper 2006 and released about now.

Owen

Pleased to hear you are enjoying the book - I got as much 7th Wilts stuff in there as I could find. 7th Ox & Bucks and 10th Devons are also well covered due to the number of manuscript and published accounts that survive.

Chris

Just wondering whether you ever received a copy of the Salonika book for review? I'm sure we told Suttons to put you on the list.

I heard the other day from Peter Hart that there was a Mespot book due out. I'll be interested to see what our 'rivals' produce - still feel Simon and I will have the edge. But then I would say that!!!