Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USS Jacob Jones wreck found

Falloden

The U 53 was responsible.  Prisoners were taken and judging from records they seem to have been depressing company.  Interesting to learn that the kaleunt (Rose ?)sent a message to Queenstown Laconia style,

advising that the warship had been torpedoed and that there were men who required rescue.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

I'm working with the divers on this project. Hans Rose was the top scoring commander of the U-boats operating out of Germany and also had taken U 53 across the Atlantic to Newport, Rhode island in 1916. From U 53's KTB on the radio signal:

I made this radio message as I was sailing around surfaced among the people who were in the water in the hope of thereby deepening the rift which one prisoner said had developed between British and American seamen.

Thanks for that Michael.  I hope the project proves rewarding.  The only thing I have on U-53 is a copied letter (ADM 137/ 3902) from a Vickers agent at Newport RI during the American visit.  He was invited on board the boat with a bunch of American yachtsmen and reported his technical findings back to Vickers who promptly forwarded the letter to Hall in Admiralty.

Dom Robinson, the diver mentioned in the report, had previously found and identified the wreck of ss East Point also sunk in 1917.  My grandfather was master of East Point at the time of her sinking and Dom has supplied much information and photos of the wreck in return for photos and biographical details of her captain.

I know Dom Robinson. He was also one of the divers when we identified U 95 off the Lizard last year. We’re also working on a couple of other projects to find and identify U-boat wrecks.