Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boomerang Trench

kelly

Hi is there an expert who could send me a modern day map/plan showing the exact location of the Boomerang Trench

9 hours ago, kelly said:

exact location of the Boomerang Trench

Hi Kelly, not an expert and always hard to use the word 'exact' in the context of Gallipoli mapping, but The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper shows it:

You are at 40.091804, 26.209718
Alçıtepe Köyü Yolu, Seddülbahir Köyü, Eceabat, Canakkale, Marmara Region, Türkiye

image.png.92308bd62fe63241a843ba81f9ec2212.pngimage.png.8eb83ae57642c86bb1d20f3f1b4d1610.png

Rather than a particular trench, The Boomerang at Helles seems to  refers to the whole of the area within that particular arc of Gully Ravine. If you can give a little more context and a date it may help

image.jpeg.626b16c7b56e2c4e901158fdf7a003a5.jpeg

To narrow things down a bit, the following description is from the 52nd Divisional history, p.47 in ref to the battle of 28th June 1915

“Overhanging this ravine [Gully Ravine] on the landward side was a work called the 'Boomerang Redoubt' because of its general shape. It was in the most advanced part of the Turkish front line, and accordingly was to receive special attention from the howitzers, in addition to the concentrated fire of two demoiselle trench mortars lent by the kindness of General Gouraud. This redoubt was to have a special assault of its own by the 1st Border Regiment (87th Brigade) at 10.45 am.”

Edited by michaeldr

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

“Overhanging this ravine [Gully Ravine] on the landward side was a work called the 'Boomerang Redoubt' because of its general shape

This map from the official history 'Military Operations Gallipoli Vol.II' indicates the Boomerang Redoubt with a cap. 'B' (seen above the 'de' in Brigade)

image.jpeg.e0b0204d9f6b4bea63dad4f59a2d9fe0.jpeg

Hi, huge apologies for not replying sooner

Many thanks for the maps, I saw a photo somewhere that showed a semi-circle of ground-grass around a slight mound

I glean the Boomerang is on the land side of the gully and I want to see it for myself

Garry