Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

need help identifying nameplate

Arne Vandendriessche

• Admin
1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

His widow made a pension claim. (WFA Pension cards). 

The son died 2020 but the daughter...(died 2018)

There are several trees on Ancestry to follow up.

Probate records may assist in locating relatives.

Arne 

I don't have access to Ancestry and I suggest, at this stage, you hang onto the disc.  WE can then try and find his relatives.   

You have helped us a great deal in that we now know he was serving in the Salient in 1917; the Battalion War diary mentions that he served with A Bn as adjutant until 9 Dec 1917. 

Stephen 

Edited by delta

Here's a list of John Paul Melville Valon's siblings:

Walter A. Valon Born: 1872
his full name is walter arthur valon born Feb 12 and died Aug 28 1965. He was an engineer with Enfield Gas Company. During World War I he was military representative for the Chiswick area
from 1915-1919 and served with the IV Battalion, Middlesex Volunteer
Regiment, with the rank of Captain.
https://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/pdf/10.1680/iicep.1966.32678

Alfred G. N. Valon Born: 1879
No info found

Charles E.D. Valon Born: 1883 and died in 1960
His wife was Ruby Gabrielle Poole (1881-1957)
In 1911 they had one daughter:
Louise Marcelle Valon she was born on October 1 and died in April 1997. I can't find if Louise had children.
https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/L6JB-JXF/charles-e-d-valon-1883-1960

Isabelle Valon Born: 1874
Place of Birth: Ramsgate, Kent, England

Kate Valon Born: 1876
Birthplace:
Ramsgate, Kent, England

Jessie E. Valon Born: 1877
Place of Birth: Ramsgate, Kent, England

Ethel MS Valon Born: 1881
Place of Birth: St Lawrence, Kent, England

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1881-census/william-a-m-valon-0004856039

Arne

• 1 month later...
On 11-8-2022 at 17:43, delta said:

In 1939 woonde Jean Paul Melville Valon op Mount Avenue 44, Ealing en werkte als werktuigbouwkundig ingenieur. Zijn vrouw Jean en dochter  woonden in Shaftesbury. Op 12 augustus 1940 zeilden Jean Agnes en de kinderen van Liverpool naar Sydney.

Hi

Sorry to bring up the topic again, but something isn't quite clear. It appeared that the couple broke up between 1929 and 1939. But why are they buried together?
https://nl.findagrave.com/memorial/210147406/jean_paul-melville-valon

@delta: Can I use the photo you took of captain valon's grave with your permission for a small article about this soldier that will be placed in the historic magazine of poperinge?

Arne

The owner of the photo is Brian Coates; I am sure if you acknowledge him, there will be no problem in using the image. 

Brian Coates - JPM Valon.jpeg

Bedankt

Arne

Edited by Arne Vandendriessche

On 11-8-2022 at 18:18, FROGSMILE said:

Het lijkt vreemd dat de schijf eenzijdig is, wat inhoudt dat hij zou worden bevestigd aan iets waarvan slechts één kant zichtbaar is, en toch zijn er geen gaten om hem op zijn plaats te bevestigen. Misschien gestoken in een gleuf op een stuk leren bagage ('valise'), of kofferbak

Hello,

if I look closely at the find, I see that something was attached to the left and right central of the tag. so presumably it was worn as an ID bracelet or necklace like the photo below but with two such prongs.

Australian identity discs of the First World War | Australian War Memorial

Arne

16 minutes ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Hello,

if I look closely at the find, I see that something was attached to the left and right central of the tag. so presumably it was worn as an ID bracelet or necklace like the photo below but with two such prongs.

Australian identity discs of the First World War | Australian War Memorial

Arne

If the attachment was on both sides then it’s almost certain that it was a private purchase identity disc worn on a chain around the wrist.  These were very popular with British soldiers, especially in the first half of the war.  See details here (scroll down on page): https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/identifying-the-dead-a-short-study-of-the-identification-tags-of-1914-1918/

353511B5-9FD8-461B-89D3-4DE36CEAF404.jpeg

EDBC994E-2360-4557-874C-86F8C46697F5.jpeg

316869C0-7251-4528-8DA1-84BA0BAB940D.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks,

The material of the plate is silver, so that also means that it is a private purchase.

Arne

3 hours ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Thanks,

The material of the plate is silver, so that also means that it is a private purchase.

Arne

Yes the silver characteristic is a good indicator.  Most regular (professional) soldiers pre war were from the working class and unlikely to afford such an expensive item.  However, the war brought in many middle class citizens, first as volunteers and then as conscripts, and it seems likely that loving families in many cases purchased such personal items as a parting gift and reflection of their affection and moral support.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can find where Jean Paul Andrew Valon is buried?

Arne

His grave and that of his wife is at plot V 1167 at Hawkinge Cemetery and Crematorium; this is on the site of part of the former Royal Air Force flying station.  

The address is Aerodrome Road, Hawkinge, Folkestone, Kent, CT18 7AG.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2202750/hawkinge-cemetery-and-crematorium

The village is to the north of the town of Folkestone and within 7 miles (20 minutes drive) of the Eurotunnel terminal. 

Edited by delta

Thanks,

But i mean the grave of Jean Paul ANDREW Valon, he was the son of captain Valon.

Arne

Sorry, I misread the question. 

I have checked the local newspapers but can find no clues about Andrew