Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

need help identifying nameplate

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello,

I just found something with my metal detector.
I'm pretty sure it's an identification tag.
I just need your help to explain some abbreviations and help find the owner. I think the name I can read on the top is: J.M.Valon.
In the middle of the picture it says: A.Coy
In a row below is H.S. - M.G.G. engraved
on the bottom is G.E. engraved
I found it at the location of the Mendinghem hospital in Poperinge.
Any help is welcome. Attached is a photo.
There is only engraved on one side of the plate and there is no hole provided.

Greetings Arne

20220811_160846.jpg

I've cleaned it a little more and I think it says H.S - M.G.C. in the middle so the soldier was probably in the machine gun corps, but what does that H.S mean?

Arne

The lack of a service number may well indicate an officer.

The Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps wore the cap badge the same as the infantry and cavalry branches of the Corps. Their shoulder titles had the additional letters of ‘H’, ‘HS’ or ‘HB’ for Heavy, Heavy Section or Heavy Branch respectively.https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/british-service/the-british-army/machine-gun-corps/machine-gun-corps-heavy/

The Heavy Branch were responsible for the Tanks and would become the Tank Corps in July 1917.

There is a card in the National Archive Catalogue relating to a Mention in Despatches which appeared in the London Gazette in May 1917 for a J.P.M. Valon, Temporary Captain, Machine Gun Corps. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6538069

His Medal Index Card shows him as Jean Paul Melville Valon, originally Royal Sussex Regiment and then Captain in the Royal Tank Corps. However not sure if that can be the same man as he doesn't land in France until the 1st February 1918. If does however show the medals were issued with the emblems that would reflect a Mention in Despatches.
Looks like he was honourably released from his commission later in year, as the same card shows a Silver War Badge issued in August 1918.
When he applied for his medals in August 1924 he gave a contact address of 106 Shorncliffe Road, Folkestone.

2012590294_JeanPaulMelvilleValonMiCsourcedAncestry.jpg.222348deb12bc7f9fdb4ea250d93e216.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry.

The letters along the bottom edge of the tag are most likely C.E. to show that his faith was Church of England.

Perhaps a forum member like @delta can advise if anything more is known about the service of this man.

Cheers,
Peter

thank you very much.
I hope we can find something about his inclusion in Mendinghem.
If I am sure he is the owner I will try to contact his family and give it to them.

Arne

I agree with Peter.  Heavy Section (used sequentially with ‘branch’ during the tank corps evolution) Machine Gun Corps.  

Shorncliffe’s ‘Somerset Lines’ became the final regimental depot and headquarters for the Machine Gun Corps for its final two years until disbandment.  It might be a coincidence, or he might have concluded his service on the staff there and hence lived nearby.

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, PRC said:

His Medal Index Card shows him as Jean Paul Melville Valon, originally Royal Sussex Regiment

I found another document that proves it here. But I can't download it. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1055137?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/1187

Arne

19 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

"Levensverhaal: Jean Paul Melville Valon, Mid | Levens van de Eerste Wereldoorlog" https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/5411119

If I'm not mistaken, does this timeline say he was a captain in WW2? Because it is on the timeline after 1939.

Arne

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

If I'm not mistaken, does this timeline say he was a captain in WW2? Because it is on the timeline after 1939.

Arne

No, the source is his ww1 MIC

The Heavy Section MGC was formed in May, with 6 tank companies established for 24 tanks each. Only A, C and D deployed complete with half of B coy deploying as Battle Casualty Replacement and without their tanks on 18 Sep. The remainder deployed in mid Oct, again without their tanks, and did not see action. 

The Heavy Branch MGC formed in Nov when the four companies were expanded to battalion sized units; another five being formed at Bovington in early 1917. 

John Paul Melville Valon was the Reserve Section commander of A Coy HS MGC. Born on 16 Nov 1884 in Ramsgate, he was a mechanical engineer.  He was commissioned into the Sussex Regt on 31 Mar 1915.  He joined the HS MGC in Apr 1916 and was promoted captain on 25 Aug 1916. I do not have the exact date in September (either 11 or 14th ) as to when he deployed to France but, on 6 Oct Valon and 6 officers of A Coy attached to D Coy for duty. He was mentioned in despatches on 27 May 1917, this is likely to have for actions with D Coy but the reason is unknown.

When A Coy expanded to A Battalion,  Valon was one of the original officers but he does not appear in the Battalion war diary. Valon relinquished his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, and was granted the hon. rank of Capt 13 Aug 1918.  He was awarded a pension on 10 Sep, commencing 13 Aug 1918 for £175 ending 20 Mar 1919 which he drew at a rate of £14 per month. Hi service record is available at Kew in WO 339/1187.

On 6 Dec 1922, Valon departed London on SS Sophocles for Sydney; he intended to reside in Australia.  He married  Jean Agnes MacDonald (born 1908) in 1st qtr 1925 registered at Great Yarmouth  and, on 8 Aug 1925 departed Liverpool on SS Argyllshire for Sydney with Jean Agnes Valon;  address was c/o 10 Sandon Rd Great Yarmouth. The couple had two children - Jean Paul Andrew Valon b c 1928 and a daughter Jean born on 13 Mar 1929 at Eltham

In 1939, Jean Paul Melville Valon was living at 44 Mount Avenue, Ealing and working as a mechanical engineer, His wife Jean and daughter were living in Shaftesbury,  On 12 Aug 1940, Jean Agnes and the children sailed from Liverpool for Sydney.   

I then lose track of the family. JPM Valon died aged 73 on 1 Nov 1960 at 26 Grimston Gdns Folkestone and is buried at Hawkinge. Jean Agnes died on 09 Jan 1984 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/210147406/jean_paul-melville-valon

Edited by delta

12 minutes ago, delta said:

awarded a pension on 10 Sep, commencing 13 Aug 1918 for £175 ending 20 Mar 1919 which he drew at a rate of £14 per month

His widow made a pension claim. (WFA Pension cards). 

The son died 2020 but the daughter...(died 2018)

There are several trees on Ancestry to follow up.

Edited by charlie962

Thank you very much for your searches.
Is this enough information to be 100% sure it belonged to him? I will make it my job to contact family.

Arne

Not sure where they are but will do my best to help you

Edited by delta
inability to type effectively

13 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

His widow made a pension claim. (WFA Pension cards). 

The son died 2020 but the daughter...(died 2018)

There are several trees on Ancestry to follow up.

Huge age gap!  I’m not surprised that they seem to have separated.

Just found another record. From 1947 to 1954, he was employed by the Ministry of Supply as a civil servant in the Fighting Vehicles branch. he was graded as a Class I inspector with an additional  allowance.  

54 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Iemand heeft hier een bepaalde hoeveelheid familiegegevens in Lives of the First World War geladen: 

"Levensverhaal: Jean Paul Melville Valon, Mid | Levens van de Eerste Wereldoorlog" https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/5411119

the username of the person making this timeline is terry7885 maybe he is or knows family?

1 minute ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

the username of the person making this timeline is terry7885 maybe he is or knows family?

You would be better contacting those Ancestry tree owners. 

Charlie

It seems odd that the disc is one-sided, which implies it would be fixed to something with just one side showing, and yet there are no holes to secure it in place.  Perhaps inserted into a slot on a piece of leather luggage (‘valise’), or trunk.

Edited by FROGSMILE

yes but i have not an subscription on ancestry.
I found a record about his family that runs until 2005 but I can't view it. And I think my parents don't allow me to have a subscription (I'm 14 years old).  This is the file name:
England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Marriage & Divorce

Arne

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You would be better contacting those Ancestry tree owners. 

Charlie

Hello,

Providing the contact details is also sufficient for me.
But if you want to contact them, go ahead because my english isn't great ;-).

Arne

Looks like Jean Paul Andrew Valon graduated from Birmingham University in 1949.

1921425956_30June1949-BirminghamDailyGazetteJeanValongraduationsourcedFMP.png.a44159870e3725ad6eff50f2978ff2ac.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Their alumni organisation may be able to pass a message on to next of kin. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/alumni/index.aspx

I assume this is the 2020 death mentioned.
314269848_JeanAndrewValonProbatesourcedprobatesearchserviceuk.png.a1e3e92ac570d98e496755ed02194ae5.png

Image courtesy https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

If you wanted to go to the expense of buying a copy of the probate that will tell you who dealt with his affairs, and if there was a will, who the money\property went to. But of course no guarantee it's the right man.

42 minutes ago, delta said:

daughter Jean born on 13 Mar 1929 at Eltham

May well be correct but doesn't look like the birth was registered until the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1930, and in the Elham Civil Registration District, not Eltham.
Then as now you have 42 days after the event to register the birth, and then whats shows up in the public records is quarter registered, which is not automatically the same as quarter born. So a birth on the 13th March could well turn up in Q2 - but after 42 days fines and prosecution kick in. Hopefully it won't make any difference to the outcome of searches for her.

1556565799_JeanAnnValonbirth1930sourcedFreeBMD.png.f417e2bcd22c5675beabf73e7ffeae82.png

Image courtesy FreeBMD.

GRO website shows her as Jean Ann Valon, but for some unknown reason doesn't show mothers' maiden name.

1463685279_JeanAnnValonbirth1930sourcedGROwebsite.png.ea1823c14f789be4edf88ca9e71253ae.png

Image courtesy https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro

Hope that helps,
Peter