Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buttevant Barracks & Ballyvonare Camp Handover February 1922

Salkind

I am researching the handover of both Buttevant Military Barracks and the nearby Ballyvonare Camp to Republican Forces in February 1922. In the case of Buttevant the handover was from the 2nd Batt East Lancashire Rgmt and at Ballyvonare was from the 2nd Batt Cheshire Rgmt. I am particularly interested in what personnel from both regiments took part in whatever official handover ceremony took place and any details or descriptions of same and if any photographs exist of the occasion. I know that the E, Lancs were moved to Londonderry but am unaware of the destination of the Cheshire Batt. The Machine Gun Corps were also stationed at Ballyvonare but would appear to have been evacuated a few days previous to the handover. Any help or guidance on this would be much appreciated

What’s the link to ww1 ? Without it you need to post in skindles 

Forum on here for topics not relating to ww1

• Admin

Unfortunately you need 100 posts for Skindles prepared to let this run for now perhaps @corisande can help

Note to @Salkind this forum is dedicated to the study and research of the Great War we usually take a cut off date of 1921. The topic will be locked if you stray too far from the original request. 

Sorry. I cannot help.

I have never research the handover by the British Army. I have information on the withdrawal of the ADRIC, but that is not connected with  this question.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, corisande said:

Sorry. I cannot help.

I have never research the handover by the British Army. I have information on the withdrawal of the ADRIC, but that is not connected with  this question.

Thanks anyway

regards

Ken

Hi, are you sure that it was the 2nd battalion of the Cheshire Regiment? 

The Belfast Newsletter appears to suggest that the 1st Battalion had been stationed in Ireland. It'd therefore be unlikely that both battalions would have been deployed there.

BelfastNewsLetter-21Jan1922.png.e5ced68f661ff4f645b5e62a2630a9c9.png

Source via FMP.

It'd appear that they were posted to Colchester. 

According to a note in "The Irish Sword" magazine (1998) -  " The Army List for January 1922  records the 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment as being stationed at Ballyvonare. In July 1921 the 19 officers and 417 other ranks of this battalion were stationed at Tralee

On 08/08/2022 at 19:17, corisande said:

Sorry. I cannot help.

Is it possible that some members of the Auxilaries were stationed at Buttevant Military Barracks in the period leading up to the withdrawal. I have seen reference to this in Bureau of Military History witness statements.

8 hours ago, Salkind said:

I have seen reference to this in Bureau of Military History witness statements.

Can be an unreliable source!

All ADRIC had left by 24 Jan 1922

1922 Jan 24 . There were various press reports of the details of ADRIC companies dates of demobilisation. None of them agree, but the movements were something like

• 1921 Jan 13 - H Coy from Tralee
  • 1921 Jan 13 - C Coy from Macroom
  • 1921 Jan 14 - Q Coy from
  • 1921 Jan 14 - N Coy from
  • 1921 Jan 15 -
  • 1921 Jan 15 -
  • 1921 Jan 16 - R Coy from Dunmanway
  • 1921 Jan 16 - O Coy from Mountjoy Jail
  • 1921 Jan 17 - Auxiliaries stationed at William St, Limerick left
  • 1921 Jan 17 -
  • 1921 Jan 18 - E Coy from Westport
  • 1921 Jan 18 - A Coy from Kilkenny
  • 1921 Jan 19 - G Coy from Corofin
  • 1921 Jan 19 - M Coy from Longford - 12 companies had now left
  • 1921 Jan 20 - C Coy from Cobh
  • 1921 Jan 20 - D Coy from Donegal
  • 1921 Jan 21 - J Coy from Macroom
  • 1921 Jan 24 - P coy from Tobercurry - 75 men, and were last ADRIC coy to leave Ireland

Re the Army Lists? You'd have to rummage around a bit but the National Library of Scotland have digitised quite a few.

Unfortunately I don't believe the 1922 lists are among those available.

A quick glance shows that there are plenty of pre-war and early war returns in the search results, e.g. see the 1st Battalion of the North Staffordshire Regiment at Buttevant in July 1914:

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103641482?mode=transcription

Also 2nd Bn of the Leinsters there in July 1914:

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103647290?mode=transcription

If you can find digitised copies of the Army, Navy or Air Force Lists they can be incredibly helpful, e.g. a 'famous name' can turn up, from which you can dust off a memoir. Even just the profile of the officers can give an idea of those who stayed on in the post-war years to seek permanent commissions, e.g. you can see the DSOs and Military Cross postnominals etc. 

I spent years trudging through manual copies of the Air Force Lists: what took me weeks in terms of tracking down movements can now be done in minutes via electronic keyword searches. 

Best of luck with your research.