Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How do I clean these WWI medals without removing the patina?

tashhh

My mum gave me my great-great-grandfather's medals from WWI. As you can see, they're black and grubby. I have ones from a different family member and they don't look like this; they have a patina so look aged and slightly dull, but not black.

How do I clean these to remove that blackness and grubbiness without making them shiny and new looking?

Also, is there a way to clean these ribbons?

Thanks in advance! 

20220807_123636.jpg

20220807_123645.jpg

1 hour ago, tashhh said:

My mum gave me my great-great-grandfather's medals from WWI. As you can see, they're black and grubby. I have ones from a different family member and they don't look like this; they have a patina so look aged and slightly dull, but not black.

How do I clean these to remove that blackness and grubbiness without making them shiny and new looking?

Also, is there a way to clean these ribbons?

Thanks in advance! 

20220807_123636.jpg

20220807_123645.jpg

The short answer is you can't.  Personally, I think the patina is part of the medal's history. A toothbrush scrub with gentle hand soap if necessary.

Those ribbons look original too. Stitching put there by an ancestor. Treasure them and enjoy them. Quite a privilege to have been given such an important part of your family history.

Dave

Agree with Dave. After a century they shouldn’t look shiny and new, gentle clean and preserve the ribbons.

Simon

Thank you both. I wasn't wanting to make them shiny, I just wanted the blackness gone, but if that can't happen without making them shiny, I will leave them as they are.

The blackness is Silver Sulphide which is caused by atmospheric pollution.  It took a long number of years for the BWM to get that black. I have one even darker, but wouldn't dream of cleaning it.

Think of all the coal fires over 100 years needed to get that patina!

When I was in the RN I cleaned my medals with a rubber eraser. Using metal polish is a no no because it gradually erodes the sharp lines of the cast. I’m with other posters regarding your medals…..just try and preserve them as they are, the ribbons look like the original silk issue and I would not even try to repair them.

Thank you all for your advice. I will wash them with gentle soap to remove any dirt, as suggested, and just leave them be :)

Nothing more than soap and water if you must? Be gentle and leave the ribbons as they are. You’ve been entrusted with a fantastic piece of your family’s history.

Cherish them. Well done for asking.

58 DM.

I have noticed that BWMs that have been untouched for 100 years, such as those in frames, don`t just go black. They acquire a multi-hued black a bit like an oil slick on water. Quite attractive!