Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some Digging Needed

Dazscuba

I am researching a gent from WW2 but wondered if the most experienced of you could do some digging for me please on the below chap. Wondered if anything could be found of him in WW1 records as I can’t find anything.

john Edwin Guy

b1883 in Hull 

1911 census living in Sculcoates, Hull with his wife Sarah Ann Guy but she died in 1913.

1939 Brazil Street, Hull was working for LNER and a ARP warden 

d1973 in East Riding 

There are a number of family trees for him on Ancestry but none have linked any military documents to him. In the WW1 military records there are several men of that name and other John E Guys. Not seeing a pension or service  record that would link to his home area. May have to do by elimination, but there's a chance he did not serve overseas as well.

• Admin

His marriage certificate shows his occuation as "Smith" in ?? 32 Battalion ?? N Fusiliers?? Image courtesy FMP

image.png

This could be his MIC (Courtesy Ancestry)

image.png

There is a record on FMP of John E Guy transferring from 32nd Bn NF to RAMC too. (courtesy FMP)

image.png

There is of course no guarantee this is your man.

I'd agree the MIC, Medal Roll and marriage certificate are all the same John Edwin Guy - but if it's @Dazscuba' s man then the marriage certificate is for his subsequent marriage - and I cannot make out whether John is a widower or a batchelor from the certificate. 

2 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

I'd agree the MIC, Medal Roll and marriage certificate are all the same John Edwin Guy - but if it's @Dazscuba' s man then the marriage certificate is for his subsequent marriage - and I cannot make out whether John is a widower or a batchelor from the certificate. 

There seems to be a dot over the word, so probably "widower"

Martin

• Admin
14 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I think that says private in  scrawly writing.

Could be, 1911 census has him as a Coal Dealer, 1901 as a Cowboy! So no indication of Smith / Farrier.

• Admin

Search the forum for "Hull absent voters" there is an old thread that will help you access that list.

(Sorry but tablet won't let me post the full thread)

38 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I think that says private in  scrawly writing.

Agreed. 58 DM.

4 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

The certificate is indeed for his second marriage. His first marriage was registered in the Sculcoates District, June quarter 1910 when he married Sarah Ann ARKSEY.  There is a death registered in the September quarter 1913 (Skirlaugh District) for a Sarah A Guy.

35 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

The certificate is indeed for his second marriage. His first marriage was registered in the Sculcoates District, June quarter 1910 when he married Sarah Ann ARKSEY.  There is a death registered in the September quarter 1913 (Skirlaugh District) for a Sarah A Guy.

I'd say @DavidOwenhas found him.

Thank you all so much for all your hard work in finding him.