Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J Cakobau- Court Martial 1918

christine liava'a

Could someone in London please go and access this document? It relates to a soldier in the Fiji Labour Corps, at that time in Taranto, Italy.

It is not available online.

What did he do?  What was the result? There is no mention of it in Fiji, NZ, or Australia.

Name: J. Cakobau
Court or Trial Date: 6 Jul 1918
Court or Trial Place: In Field
Regiment: Fyian Lab Corps
Reference Number: WO 213/23

30 minutes ago, christine liava'a said:

Could someone in London please go and access this document? It relates to a soldier in the Fiji Labour Corps, at that time in Taranto, Italy.

It is not available online.

What did he do?  What was the result? There is no mention of it in Fiji, NZ, or Australia.

Name: J. Cakobau
Court or Trial Date: 6 Jul 1918
Court or Trial Place: In Field
Regiment: Fyian Lab Corps
Reference Number: WO 213/23

Hi Christine. The National Archives will copy the document and send it to you on request though I believe there is a charge. Forgive me if you know this already. 

Actually Christine. Can go one better than that..... this is the Court Martial Register. Looks like 'Miscellaneous' offence which he received 84 Days Filed Punishment No2.

CB897140-AD98-4DB3-89A5-FC862944160E.jpeg

6DD3661E-E9A9-4711-8DA5-9657C2C1C973.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Thanks. What is field punishment no 2?

33 minutes ago, christine liava'a said:

Thanks. What is field punishment no 2?

In Field Punishment Number Two, the prisoner was placed in fetters and handcuffs but was not attached to a fixed object as in Number One and was still able to march with his unit. The soldier was also subjected to hard labour and loss of pay. While a Commanding Officer could only impose the sentence for a period of twenty eight days a Courts Martial could sentence a soldier to ninety days. 

Edited by Gunner 87

I see there was another FLC soldier also court martialled with him- Vilive Merekula, who received the same punishment. I wonder what they did.

The punishment of handcuffing and hard labour was probably not much different from what they were doing already, unloading ships at the Taranto wharves, except for the handcuffs!  

What is the heading, under "nature of charge"  for the column in which the number 40 appears for both of them? I cannot read it.

Edited by christine liava'a

13 hours ago, christine liava'a said:

I see there was another FLC soldier also court martialled with him- Vilive Merekula, who received the same punishment. I wonder what they did.

The punishment of handcuffing and hard labour was probably not much different from what they were doing already, unloading ships at the Taranto wharves, except for the handcuffs!  

What is the heading, under "nature of charge"  for the column in which the number 40 appears for both of them? I cannot read it.

The column heading for 'Nature of Charges' is 'Miscellaneous' ... I have sent you over a pm. 

Edited by Gunner 87