Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking Soldiers photo...

andy2014

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are well!

You know when you have so much on someone and you just want to put a face to the man! 

I obtained a red ID tag for my small collection some years ago and luckily there are very extensive surviving service records.

After years of learning research I am slowly piecing everything together on him but no photograph.

It would be great to put a face to the details so I thought I would put his details on here in case has any tips or experience with places to look?

I have subscriptions and use the following...

Ancestry, FMP, British Newspaper Archives, Western Front Association, CWGC Foundation, TWGPP, Fold3.

I have his service records, MIC, Pension records, CWGC records, Grave photo, done a family tree etc..

Any ideas? maybe I need to seek out any local papers up in Durham for local notifications etc...

Never found anything yet in newspaper archives, but only done online so far, and the searches can be so fiddly and awkward sometimes? you look for hours then someone else finds one in 2 minutes? 

He had hell of a time reading his records.

Brief details below:

Pte Richard Thomas Williams

No: 15355

13th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

From Crook, County Durham

Died of Wounds 22 May 1917
Buried Etaples Military Cemetery

Thanks in advance of any tips or links etc, googling like crazy for local pages, memorials, paper archives etc.. and next to look at war diary, trench maps etc to see if I can narrow down the details of action on the day.

p.s. haven't posted any documents etc as I never know what can and can`t be posted these days?

Regards

Andy 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by andy2014

Have you tried  newspapers for where his parents or a wife (if married) lived ?

I will try that too, Thanks! 

19 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Have you tried  newspapers for where his parents or a wife (if married) lived ?

Can I take it that the more complete tree on Ancestry is yours?

Have you tried contacting the 10 other tree owners to see if anyone has a photo( but not posted)? 

Charlie

12 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Can I take it that the more complete tree on Ancestry is yours?

Have you tried contacting the 10 other tree owners to see if anyone has a photo( but not posted)? 

Charlie

It could be, i have tried a few that are not too distant from him, sadly with Ancestry few reply or have been online recently. More are so distant they never knew people when you enquire? 

I will probably try them again just in case!

Thanks for replying!