Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Downloading WD

sapperwho

20 minutes ago, sapperwho said:

Is it possible to download an entire WD ( or part of ) instead of saving individual records one at a time.

Regards John

I presume you are trying it on Ancestry or FMP? In which case the answer is 'No'.

However if you go to the National Archive website, Discovery section, and enter details of the regiment/corps/battalion  in the search box , you can download the diaries as one big PDF, (or several if they're big diaries).

The usual charge is £3.50, but if you create a (free) account, you can download 30 documents per month free.

Also in the search box, put in the secret magic code 'WO95' to narrow down your search to just war diaries.

e.g. to get the WD for 65 Bde., RGA, type in WO95 65 Garrison

Thank you Dai Bach. I was able to download the PDF for the 1st Btn Kings Own Scottish Borderers for Mar16-April 19 as a large PDF. When I tried to do the same for Jan 15-Feb 16 I was directed to the Ancestry page I have been looking at all afternoon which doesn't seem to allow the big PDF downloads. which is unfortunate as my Great Uncle landed with the KOSB's on the 25-4-15.

Many thanks for your help and prompt reply .

Cheers John

6 hours ago, sapperwho said:

When I tried to do the same for Jan 15-Feb 16 I was directed to the Ancestry page

Can you post the link?

I should have added earlier that  I don't think that Gallipoli WDs have been digitized by TNA, only the Western Front ones.

The Gallipoli War Diary for the 1st Bn King's Own Scottish Borderers is one of those which was transcribed by the late Martin Gillott and is available from Amazon .co.uk in a Kindle edition for £2.99. You can download a Kindle app for free. All the hard transcription work has been done for you!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gallipoli-Diaries-Kings-Scottish-Borderers-ebook/dp/B01MDQS3IU/ref=sr_1_7?keywords="Gallipoli+Diaries"+Gillott&qid=1659663008&s=digital-text&sr=1-7

Maureen

Gallipoli War Diaries have been digitised and can be accessed on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/60380/. They are not available via TNA.

A shortcut link for TNA War Diaries: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/.

Acknown 

Edited by Acknown

Hi Dai Bach

The Gallipoli WD of the 1st KOSB is piece 4311. Sorry for taking so long to reply I have been rebuilding a neighbours wall all day .

Hope that reference is useful .

Cheers John