Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Herbert Lumsden RHA ? - photo ID? H Bty RHA 1919

battiscombe

I attach an image of an RHA Lt, in Germany 1919 with H Bty RHA.. I believe this may (?) be Herbert Lumsden, (in WWII Lt General commanding 1st Armoured Div, killed in the Pacific in 1945 while attached to MacArthurs staff). I was wondering if anyone had/knew of  a WWI photo of him to confirm whether this might be the case?

Online there are some photos of him, but mainly when much older, several here https://sites.google.com/site/jockeypedia/lumsden-henry  which suggest, to me,  this could indeed be him.. but hard to say.. He has the requisite MC and Lumsden did serve for a time with H Bty RHA .. Any suggestions welcome. I know a Lt Edward Percy Noel Jones also served in H Bty in 1919 but i dont think it is him..

RHA Lt 1919.png

Reading his Wikipedia article I suspect a picture isn't likely to turn up in the UK local press in connection with his MC as his parents were living in Chile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Lumsden

However it does note he went to The Leys School. Could be worth a check of their digital archive or have a check of their website to see if they have an archivist who might be able to assist. https://www.theleys.net/415/about-us/history

Cheers,
Peter

I don’t think that the officer in subject photo is either, Lumsden, or Jones.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks.. annoyingly his slight gap tooth is quite distinctive but not visible elsewhere. There are some quality images of both those two at Woolwich in 1915 which do not look very simialr, but neither wore a moustache while there..

Ears are different so I agree with Frogsmile

What was the exact date of the photo? Lumsden (along with Jones) was posted from H Bty on 16/3/19 to E Bty, where he remained until 1925 trf to Lancers. 

E Bty history room, way back, must have had photos? 

Charlie

Thanks for comments. There is no exact date.. just '1919', while the known movements of the Bty/Brigade (the cadre returning to UK) establish the general parameters.. I have  two formal record photos of the 'Right  Section'  and H Bty NCOs, and I get the impression that such photos were taken at meaningful 'moments', such as arrival or departure at new postings... I have read the Battery and Brigade war diaries so have that information - There are no regular lists of officers coming/going..

18 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

just '1919'

Are there any others in the group photo wearing campaign ribbons that might date bracket that photo? I saw your other extract on Trumpeter Barrett. 

I think man in your photo could be Lumsden. He was 6ft, I think. Tall for a jockey. Does he look tall sitting in that photo, compared to others? 

Charlie  

PS. Worth contacting 1RHA who will have someone looking after battery records? 

I see they have a Facebook page, but I do not adhere! 

"This spring E Battery... - 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery | Facebook" https://m.facebook.com/1stRegimentRoyalHorseArtillery/posts/933024170076700

I think the officer in question is Lieut. George Alexander Neville SWINEY, MC. He gets a mention in H Battery's War Diary when rejoining from leave on 10th August 1918. He ended his career as a Major-General - a 1950 photo is held by the National Portrait Gallery. Despite there being 30 years between the two images, there's a definite resemblance:

1570404410_HBtty1919.jpg.29394c0aff2d253bddb618768a064858.jpg

Bart 

Edited by Bartimeus

Agreed!

31 minutes ago, Bartimeus said:

I think the officer in question is Lieut. George Alexander Neville SWINEY, MC. He gets a mention in H Battery's War Diary when rejoining from leave on 10th August 1918. He ended his career as a Major-General - a 1950 photo is held by the National Portrait Gallery. Despite there being 30 years between the two images, there's a definite resemblance:

Bart 

I agree, good spot, you got him bang to rights!

1 hour ago, Bartimeus said:

Bart 

Yes indeed. Great spot.. thats really helpful. I had been tracking down pictures of others mentioned in war diaries but not got to him yet. He was commissioned  from Woolwich in the same class as Lumsden, in Nov 1916, and I had failed to notice he appears in a picture in the RMA Magazine of that date.. when he was the Cadet Senior Under Officer (SUO). I attach a detail of the published photo of him . Thanks very much for clearing that one up! 

I think Lt EPN Jones commanded the centre Section, and Lt A G Rundle had commanded Left Section when Lumsden away on leave..

Lt Swiney RMA 1916 Untitled-1.jpg