Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need Help Identifying A Black P1908 Haversack (3rd Issue?)

JMurray210

I recently purchased a P1908 haversack that had clearly been dyed black in during its lifetime. The seller claimed this was due to tank corps or Royal Navy use. I have found no evidence of this and was wondering if anyone knows what units used such dyed equipment. The guy also claimed to have bought it back in the 1980s in a shipment of decommissioned British Army Equipment.

As you can see, on the back are 2 pairs of markings.

On the Bottom in small red letters reads: J Murray

Above the red text, in larger letters: 4G210 (I believe this is 4th brigade or division of some unit, 'G' company of said unit, and rifle rack number 210) 

If anyone can provide any historical background on either the pack, the man it belonged to, or both I would be very grateful!

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Possibly Irish Free State. Ireland purchased large quantities of Pattern 1908 Web Equipment during the early 1920’s. This was initially pre-dyed dark green but at some point the Irish Army appear to have re-dyed it all to a black shade. Black Patt 08 components (usually faded to dark grey) still turn up on quite a regular basis. Most are ME Co, dated 1923 and marked with the Irish Free State Fianna Fáil symbol, an FF within a sunburst.

Pete

7AE333CF-1894-426E-A51C-B67682D1B1DA.jpeg

Edited by Pete_C

20 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Possibly Irish Free State. Ireland purchased large quantities of Pattern 1908 Web Equipment during the early 1920’s. This was initially pre-dyed dark green but at some point the Irish Army appear to have re-dyed it all to a black shade. Black Patt 08 components (usually faded to dark grey) still turn up on quite a regular basis. Most are ME Co, dated 1923 and marked with the Irish Free State Fianna Fáil symbol, an FF within a sunburst.

Pete

7AE333CF-1894-426E-A51C-B67682D1B1DA.jpeg

I've heard this before but what makes me question this is the 4G210. Which seems to be something similar to how the Australians marked their equipment during the war. The Aussies marked gear Rifle rack number (1-3 digits), Letter (of company A,B,C,etc), Number of unit (1 for first infantry etc). This seems to be the reverse. Some sort of 4th rifle unit, the guy belonged to 'G' company of said unit, and the rife rack unit was 210. I doubt the Irish would have marked their equipment the same as their logistics prolly worked somewhat different. 

I have a small pack dyed black somewhere  I got it from a RUC station  in the late seventies, I put it safe think it's in the loft. 

Ps forgot to add its 08 pattern.

Edited by bigjohn

I was in the Irish army in the 1970's and we used the 37 pattern webbing. I never seen a unit mark on any of it.

• 1 month later...

I have  set of black 08 ammo pouches. I was told they were navy. However the Irish connection sounds plausible.

32 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

I have  set of black 08 ammo pouches. I was told they were navy. However the Irish connection sounds plausible.

Every example of Free State Pattern 1908 web equipment (green or black) I’ve come across was dated 1923 - where the date was still visible. If you can see the date on your pouches - located on the rear of the 2” extension straps - it might confirm (or not) the Irish connection. 

Pete

7575F912-AD0C-4309-B7DE-E386D7A3C68E.png

Edited by Pete_C

Thanks Pete. Mine sadly have no marks I can see