Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spr 534699 Augustus Pearson

Woodsman

Remembering Augustus Pearson who died this day (31/7) 1917. 

He was a wheelwright from Brede, East Sussex, and served as a Sapper with 490th Field Coy Royal Engineers.  He was killed in action at Ypres, and left behind a wife and young daughter.

Remembered by someone who walks where he walked.

Woodsman - Welcome to the Forum. RIP, another sad tale and it must make your walks somewhat poignant. I assume he was a relative or relative's neighbour. Did you know that his Service Record can be found online at Ancestry?

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Hi Acknown,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not a relative of Augustus Pearson but have been researching the men listed on the Brede war memorial, and he is one of a few I feel a particular parallel with. I lived in the neighbouring village of Sedlescombe and regularly walked a circuit which took me past where Augustus lived - Gotham Lane. As a wheelwright he would have worked with wood/trees as I do, and he was the same age I am when he enlisted - plus he had a young child about the same age as mine.

I have searched his records on Ancestry and have found service records and census'. I've not managed to find a photo of him yet though, so if anyone can help with that I'd be most grateful. 

I'm keen to keep his memory alive and uncover as much of his story as I can.

Thanks and all the best,

Woodsman

You may not have this pension card (Fold3 via WFA):

544452532_PEARSON2.JPG.28e95dcb9e67779f3cea5dddfae5bcfb.JPG

Acknown