Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery turret / telescope / guns

pb43

h2, right where you said it was in your earlier post - but now the evidence (what with the map and the latest photo).

Nice conclusion.

MB

On 02/08/2022 at 10:34, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I agree and am really curious as to what the inside looked like.  It seems to me to be designed to replicate a main turret on a capital ship (perhaps a Dreadnought).  I wonder if the guns are 12” or bigger.

"A Gunnery Instructor explains the operation of a breech in the Instructional Turret to a group of recruits c.1952. This is one of twoguns, by now upgraded to 15 inch in the gun turret." [Courtesy " Sea Soldiers of Portsmouth"]

IMG_0881.JPG

Edited by horatio2

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

"A Gunnery Instructor explains the operation of a breech in the Instructional Turret to a group of recruits c.1952. This is one of twoguns, by now upgraded to 15 inch in the gun turret." [Courtesy " Sea Soldiers of Portsmouth"]

IMG_0881.JPG

Thank you.  I can smell the gun oil and taste the metallic air!

Edited by FROGSMILE

Amazing to pinpoint the location as well, nice find :D

13 hours ago, CharlesPeter said:

I live no where near Portsmouth but I am thinking that the turret is probably the circular structure shown on the 1930s OS maps - see below. This is logical as part of the Sea Service Battery and I think the rectangular structure next to it fits with the brick building as seen in the photo that first launched this thread. If so, this part of the Eastney/Fort Cumberland complex has been built over for houses. FS is for flagstaff

image.png.205ddfc3580190b36614ce463c1934ae.png

Hi CharlesPeter. This photograph shows the Sea Service Battery with the Drill Turret in the background which corroborates with your OS map and the circular building to the right. 

Excellent find with the map :)

6DCDD154-BE5F-42F4-90A9-ED8EA1D2EDF3.jpeg