Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiments in Great War (Volume 6)

Guest suzanne27

I'll look for info on the formation of the 13th Battalion, more later.

Ditto as to the question about the 'friendly fire incident' from Mark

Cheers,

Michael

For those interested in the 13th, this thread may be of interest - I have no idea why the pictures and scans are not working - maybe due to the recent change of host for the forum? Rather annoying as all the pages regarding the formation of the 'Hammers' was there! :(

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...opic=14414&st=0

And here's another '13th' thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...1&st=&p=entry

Could you please check the book for any reference to the very unfortunate 'friendly-fire' incident with 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Delville Wood on 20th July 1916? Some of my sources say that it was 11th Essex who shot the RWF up as they advanced (mistakenly) across their front, but I think from the units stationed in the area it must have been 10th.

I can't find any mention of the 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Delville Wood. Burrows only mentions the 4th Royal Fusiliers, Norfolks, 6th Royal Berkshires and the 7th Suffolk. However, there is a rather curious (?) mention:

"At 3.35 a.m. all firing ceased in expectation that fresh troops were attacking from a flank, but half an hour later an officer and men from another unit came in fron the Essex front, who alleged that they had been fired upon. They had entered the left of the Berkshires towards the Princess Street and there found it difficult on the wooded ridge to recognize the identification points. The enemy, too, were then forming up for a counter-attack thereabouts and the British artillery was also roaring overhead. A very confusing set of circumstances."

(Burrows, Volume 6, page 170)

What intrigues me is that Burrows doesn't mention who the other unit was.

Michael

Is there much about 13th Essex on 13th November 1916? I would also be very interested in any details about their formation

Formation of the 'Hammers', Burrows, Volume 6, page 387:

post-2017-1112898315.jpg

'The Hammers',Burrows, Volume 6, pages 388 + 399:

post-2017-1112898501.jpg

For those interested in the 13th, this thread may be of interest

Good thinking, no wonder the subject and pages sounded so familiar... :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for finding the reference. Re Tenth Royal Welsh Fusiliers,it was very definitely them who were shot up. They were part of 76 Brigade, 3rd Division, which was trying to relieve the South African Brigade and secure Longueval and Delville Wood in a night attack. Unfortunately 10th RWF's guides from 53rd Brigade were useless and the Fusiliers ended up on the wrong track through the wood. After a very confused fight with the Germans they were mistakenly shot up by the Essex chaps (and probably the Brigade MG company). 'Blue on Blues' are always likely on Divisional boundaries, but the incident was notorious enough to be referred to in Rawlinson's report for 20th July '...our attack went wrong this morning, and I fear we shot at each other'. I suspect that there were a lot of recriminations (the competence of the 53rd Brigade guides for a start) and perhaps Burrows wanted to deal with the sorry episode as briefly as possible. Interestingly the version of the 10th RWF War Diary privately published in the 1920's makes no direct reference to the 'friendly fire' incident. The Official History of the RWF is more forthcoming, saying that the battalion suffered 'serious losses' from the Essex's fire. It relates that the '11th Essex' (sic-we now know it was 10th, from 53rd Brigade) subsequently denied any knowledge that there was an attack in progress. The Official History isn't very sympathetic to this argument!

If I'm at the PRO in the future I might look in the approriate War Diary files to see if there is any correspondence about this incident.

Mark, sorry I missed your reply.... :blink:

Thanks for this additional information on the Essex "Incident. "

perhaps Burrows wanted to deal with the sorry episode as briefly as possible.

I think you are quite right about Burrows, no excuse though to shove it under the carpet. I would be very interested to know if you find any other references in the future.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Can anyone help with any info on my grandfathers brother unit movements & any related info ?

Details :-

Private Henry Wilian Searing 19562 of 11th Battalion Essex Regiment who died aged 19 on May 27th 1916 and is currently buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetry.

I am currently research any info on Henry and would much any help on this.

Kind Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

First of all, welcome to this Forum!

Second, I'm afraid there is not much information to gather on the death of your Uncle. Burrows doesn’t mention May 27, 1916 at all.

The War Diary of the 11th Battalion only mentions that one Other Rank was killed on May 26 and 2 Other Ranks wounded on May 27, 1916.

Soldiers Died in the Great War, Essex Regiment, has the following information.

Searing, Henry William, born in Islington, Middlesex, enlisted in Southend-on-Sea, 19562, Private, Died of Wounds in France & Flanders. , 27/5/16.

It is tough to say when he would have been wounded. The 11th Battalion was in the trenches in front of Brielen several times during May 1916 and on just about every day men were wounded.

I noticed that he is buried in the Boulogne Eastern Cemetery so ten to one he was evacuated from the trenches and taken to one of the Hospitals in Boulogne where he sadly died.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Further to the above on Pte Searing:

He was the son of Mr & Mrs Searing of 88 Hartington Road, Southend on Sea. He was educated at Bournemouth Park Road Schools and was subsequently employed by Mr T W Bowing, optican of Southend High Street. He enlisted on 5th June 1915 and went overseas in February 1916, dying of wounds in France on 27th May 1916 aged 18. He was buried at Boulogne.

The above is from "The Southend and District Roll of Honour 1914-1921" compied by Jeffrey Jarvis.

He identifies an obit and photo in the Southend Standard paper 8th July 1916.

Regards

Ali

Further to the above on Pte Searing:

He was the son of Mr & Mrs Searing of 88 Hartington Road, Southend on Sea. He was educated at Bournemouth Park Road Schools and was subsequently employed by Mr T W Bowing, optican of Southend High Street. He enlisted on 5th June 1915 and went overseas in February 1916, dying of wounds in France on 27th May 1916 aged 18. He was buried at Boulogne.

The above is from "The Southend and District Roll of Honour 1914-1921" compied by Jeffrey Jarvis.

He identifies an obit and photo in the Southend Standard paper 8th July 1916.

Regards

Ali

Hi Ali

Thankyou very much for the above information, this Forum and its member are the best thing to have happened to me, bit and snips of information are coming through and I feel excited about it thankyou and I meen it

Paul

Glad to be of help for once! I've received plenty of help on this forum. It might be worth following up the paper avenue for the photo.

Regards

Ali

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Are you still doing lookups for this?

My Grt Grandfather Harry Hodge, born Luton 1888 was a Private in the 2nd Essex Regiment. (Belived to be the 2nd Garrsson Battalion).

Does he feature?

Hodge, H., Private, 2nd Essex Regiment

Joined in June 1917, and after his training was sent to India, where he served for two years, during which time he was stationed at Rawal Pindi, Poona and Delhi, engaged on duties of an important nature. He was demobilised after his return to England in January 1920, and holds the general service and victory medals.

Many Thanks

• 9 years later...

Hi, I'm interested in these two men in the Essex Regiment:

[a] Pte 42930 Thomas Tooke: went overseas late March/early April 1918, in a Lewis gun squad, wounded at some unknown date, believed to have been in the 10th Battalion but I'm not entirely sure of that.

Pte 44287 Stanley Methuen Manning: went overseas in May 1918, definitely in the 11th Battalion, KIA on 17/18 September 1918.

Any scrap of information would be very much appreciated.

Peter

• 2 years later...

Would someone please post here or send me the relevant chapter In Borrows’s history of the 10 Essex in Delville Wood, 19 to 20 July 1916.

Thanks

David