Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Kenolty, Plum Farm.

Ricky1968

On 17/08/2011 at 17:10, stijn said:

If you ever wanth to visit the two farms, i can bring you there. There was at plum farm a large hospital bunker to help the wounded soldiers. And Werner Voss should crasched there in that area.

Plum Farm on your left side:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/188/trenchmap20edit.jpg

grtz,

stijn

Hello Stijn, thisthread is very old but hopefully you can help me. My Great Uncle was L Cp Kenolty who was injured on the 5th of August 1917, and would have been taken to Plum Farm. I'm planning on visiting next Spring and would really like to find the location if you could help me, kind regards, Richard.

• Admin

Welcome aboard Ricky. I’ve split this into a new post as indeed it was a very old thread. @stijn might alert him to your post. He last visited in 2020. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Cpl Kenolty, Plum Farm.

This needs a second opinion as I am still learning Trench Mapper, but I think this is it - Plum Farm [strongpoint], St Julien, 28NW2 C.24.c.6.4 (Trench Map from McMaster University Digital Archive):

346037451_PLUMFARM.JPG.9f98f2f50da1bf2af6fd75c78f569fdd.JPG

Today's map from tMapper (the village on the left is Wieltje, 8900 Ypres, Belgium):

1963543768_PLUMFARM2.JPG.caad1e9d7bb639d22c45ba390af77fcb.JPG

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

I've just found a second PLUM FARM here (tMapper):

[DETAIL REMOVED] Having looked at the original thread here:

My first post is the place you need.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

30 minutes ago, Acknown said:

I think this is it - Plum Farm

So do l unless the OP has some documentation that indicates it was really the other one.  Stijn's farm is Pond Farm and this Plum Farm is 1.3 km from his farm.  Click to enlarge and you will see Plum at the bottom left and Pond at the top centre.  StreetView image is of Plum Farm.

image.png.b81b4cfe42e28c6b1a0d578eb3ad5406.png

2 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

So do l

Good! In the original thread, this PF is the one they're talking about.

Acknown

I have just posted this on Casualty Lists.

Brian

EDIT: He is named in the WD of 107 MGCo of 36 Div as being wounded on 05/08/1917. WO 95/2503/6 - Ancestry p 104/129

HB 7544.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

4 hours ago, Acknown said:

Good! In the original thread, this PF is the one they're talking about.

Acknown

A third opinion.

It is the one in C 24 c. This sketch is from the WD of 36 Div HQ GS WO 95/2492 - Ancestry p 27. It shows the dispositions of 107 Brigade.

Brian

36 HQ GS.jpg

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

It is the one in C 24 c.

Thanks. Indeed, that is the one I suggested and the one they were talking about in the original post. The 107 Coy MGC WD (Ancestry) says it was located in 'newly captured ground' and PF is marked as a strongpoint (see 36 Div WD map on Ancestry p.26). As PF was where Kenolty was treated, not an MG Coy position, there must have been a medical unit of some sort there. I can't find any medical instructions in the 36 Div Operational Order at all and there seem to be pages missing from the HQ 107 Inf Bde WD. However, the latter contains this map (TNA WO 95/2502/1):

693570666_PLUMFARM4.JPG.6b808327de51a83d24fbc07cc95a665a.JPG

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

The Units of 36 Div relieved 55 Div in early August and this map is from the July 1917 WD of 55 Div HQ GS WO 95/2903 - Ancestry p 401. I have cropped it. The legend shows PF as an Aid Post so most likely it was still an Aid Post under 36 Div.

Brian

55 HQ GS.jpg

On 28/07/2022 at 10:00, Michelle Young said:

Well aboard Ricky. I’ve split this into a new post as indeed it was a very old thread. @stijn might alert him to your post. He last visited in 2020. 

Many thanks Michelle, I appreciate you doing this. 

• Admin

If you are on Facebook there is the Pond Farm page too. 

On 28/07/2022 at 15:20, brianmorris547 said:

I have just posted this on Casualty Lists.

Brian

EDIT: He is named in the WD of 107 MGCo of 36 Div as being wounded on 05/08/1917. WO 95/2503/6 - Ancestry p 104/129

HB 7544.jpg

Many thanks Brian, I had no idea these existed, when I tried to find his service record it had been burned with thousands of others in WW2. 

10 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

If you are on Facebook there is the Pond Farm page too. 

Thank you so much, I can't believe how knowledgeable everyone is and how willing to help they are. 

• 5 months later...

If you put just Plum into Advanced Find in TrenchMapper, that gives 2 Plum Farms on sheet 28.

Then you can explore a range of maps of the area.

Howard