Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Ypres

suesalter1

My friend and I are going to Ypres for a week on 5th September. First time since 2018, so fingers and toes crossed! We've been before and visited the usual places like Flanders Fields Museum, Essex Farm, Passendale Museum at Zonnebekke, etc. Not Sanctuary Wood! I will not go there if you paid me!

We'll go to Pop, of course, and Talbot House. We always go on from there to visit my great-uncle's grave at Mendinghem.

I'll like to go somewhere we've not been to before, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Sue

• Admin

A walk in Ploegsteert Wood is always pleasant.I also like walking the old railway from Zonnebeke to Tyne Cot. 

As has been said the walk from Zonnebeke to Tyne Cot is well worth doing. You could walk on to Passchendaele after visiting Tyne Cot.

There's also the southern salient, in and around Messines.

Hi Sue,

I can only repeat what Michelle and Richard and Sassenach wrote : "Discovering" the cemeteries in Ploegsteert Wood is a revelation, And sure : Hill 60 and the Bluff and Tyne Cot cemetery can be recommended too.

Aurel

From Zonnebeke, you can walk up to Polygon Wood and ANZAC's Rest and of course the new (not yet unveiled but it's in place) Brothers in Arms memorial!! 

M.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely want to see the Brothers in Arms memorial.

RE Grave at Bellewaarde for view back to the city  (and take in the Liverpool Scottish Stone just round the corner 50 metres) Hooge Crater Museum and Cafe nearby down on the Menin Road opposite Hooge Crater  Cemetery for the museum and refreshment (closed Mondays and Tuesdays) -Talking Tree posts available - download the app From IFF Ian

• 1 month later...

if visiting Nicks cafe at Hooge, walk a further hundred yards up the road and int9 the grounds of the hotel.

go round to the left and drop a euro in the box before descending German concrete to see the light railway truck, silent pickets, barbed wire, Livens launchers, four mine craters, lots of shell cases, and the German bunker to get into.

only half an hour, but worth a euro!

Bruce

2 hours ago, bruce said:

if visiting Nicks cafe at Hooge, walk a further hundred yards up the road and int9 the grounds of the hotel.

go round to the left and drop a euro in the box before descending German concrete to see the light railway truck, silent pickets, barbed wire, Livens launchers, four mine craters, lots of shell cases, and the German bunker to get into.

only half an hour, but worth a euro!

Bruce

Agreed, well worth a ‘walk round’.

In Ypres at the moment. So nice to be back. However, we have noticed a singular lacks of Brits this time. Talbot House was very quiet and there are very few UK cars on the roads. Some people writing in the visitor's books at the cemeteries, but not many. Expected more now restrictions lifted. 

On 29/07/2022 at 13:43, Marilyne said:

From Zonnebeke, you can walk up to Polygon Wood and ANZAC's Rest and of course the new (not yet unveiled but it's in place) Brothers in Arms memorial!! 

M.

Highly recommended!

If Johan is in his pub, he'll have a brilliant tale to tell about thr Memorial.  Which is absolutely spot-on IMG-20220901-WA0008.jpeg.3a112ca12d767b53aa7944c1a40f04b8.jpegIMG-20220901-WA0014.jpeg.61c00f90851fb872d5fd99ea71776a40.jpeg

Edited by Sapper D.
Typo

ah... you went to see the new memorial... it's brilliant, isn't it??? 

M.