Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Old Western Front in the 1940s

Poppy Mercier

Hi there !

So; one of my main areas of interest and research at the moment is the Somme during the German Occupation, 1940-1944. I'm slowly building up a collection of photographs, taken mostly by soldiers of the Wehrmacht, of the Somme in this time period. I thought I'd share with you a few I have already; with some notable cemeteries and memorials amongst them ! 

I'd love to see any others that members may have, too !

Thiepval, 1941 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) image.png.ef6f5f1580fbda259ad01021e9358032.png

Cabaret Rouge, 1941 (unknown photog.) Cabaret Rouge 1940 copy.jpeg

Varennes Military Cemtery, 1941 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) Varennes Military Cemetery copy.jpeg

Entrance to Langemark, 1940 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) Langemark Cemetery Entrance 1941 copy.jpeg

Bray Military Cemetery, 1 Sept 1944 (Original press print) Bray Military Cemetery.jpeg

Edited by Poppy Mercier
captions

Hi Poppy

I was going to welcome you to the forum in your introduction thread but this is so good I thought I would add my greetings here. I am sure I have seen some photos and even some cine film in various threads, I'll try and remember where. Perhaps the other members with better memories may be able to assist. I think one member whose posts might be worth a look at might be my friend @egbert , whose grandfather is buried in the CWGC cemetery at Merville and whose father was with the German forces in 1940. I'd recommend the magical rabbit hole that is his thread on the contents of his grandfather's trunk, just set aside a bit of time to read it through. As a taster this came from a location you may be familiar with.....

Pete.

16 hours ago, Poppy Mercier said:

Hi there !

So; one of my main areas of interest and research at the moment is the Somme during the German Occupation, 1940-1944. I'm slowly building up a collection of photographs, taken mostly by soldiers of the Wehrmacht, of the Somme in this time period. I thought I'd share with you a few I have already; with some notable cemeteries and memorials amongst them ! 

I'd love to see any others that members may have, too !

Thiepval, 1941 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) image.png.ef6f5f1580fbda259ad01021e9358032.png

Cabaret Rouge, 1941 (unknown photog.) Cabaret Rouge 1940 copy.jpeg

Varennes Military Cemtery, 1941 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) Varennes Military Cemetery copy.jpeg

Entrance to Langemark, 1940 (Photographed by Hardy Päge) Langemark Cemetery Entrance 1941 copy.jpeg

Bray Military Cemetery, 1 Sept 1944 (Original press print) Bray Military Cemetery.jpeg

Thanks Poppy for posting these !

Always great to see the battlefields and cemeteries through the years.Where did your interest spring from ? 

Steve 

1 hour ago, Steviebullsatatter said:

Thanks Poppy for posting these !

Always great to see the battlefields and cemeteries through the years.Where did your interest spring from ? 

Steve 

Hey Steve! 
I’ve always had a great interest in WW2 (mainly focusing on the medical services of the US and British Armies) but a few years back I started collecting french paperwork and found some stuff from someone locally (ration cards etc). I stumbled upon some amazing photos on eBay quite cheaply and purchased them, which snowballed into my collection of photos today 

14 minutes ago, Poppy Mercier said:

Hey Steve! 
I’ve always had a great interest in WW2 (mainly focusing on the medical services of the US and British Armies) but a few years back I started collecting french paperwork and found some stuff from someone locally (ration cards etc). I stumbled upon some amazing photos on eBay quite cheaply and purchased them, which snowballed into my collection of photos today 

That's brilliant Poppy.

Amazing how it just takes one photograph or form from years ago to start the journey. And sometimes it really does become a journey, visiting places and looking back into the past.

This could well end up becoming bigger than you would imagine. 

Enjoy your journey. 

Steve 

1 minute ago, Steviebullsatatter said:

That's brilliant Poppy.

Amazing how it just takes one photograph or form from years ago to start the journey. And sometimes it really does become a journey, visiting places and looking back into the past.

This could well end up becoming bigger than you would imagine. 

Enjoy your journey. 

Steve 

Post more of your photos if you can...

Never can see enough of them but try keep to anything ww1 related ones. 

Regards 

Steve 

Thanx Pete @Fattyowlsfor your post, I am afraid Poppy is not interested in the links. Nevertheless, here are 2 pics from May 1940 on this page:

Edited by egbert

I've just watched the Antiques Roadshow item for the first time - thanks to Pete for sharing this with us, and above all to Egbert for your moving and profound words.

John

John, I think within the trunk thread is a second BBC snippet link. Also the full version shall be still viewable in the Antique Roadshow archives (2 separate Antique Road show editions were aired)

Thanks Egbert, I'll check this out.

John

In the picture of the Thiepval Memorial above there appear to be two flags flying. Nowadays they are the Union flag and the French Tricolour. But what would they have been during the German occupation?

Martin