Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Slater 130782 Machine Gun Corps: Light Car Patrol

johnny

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping you can help me with information on the Service of my Grandad Leonard Slater. I have alot of his personal records, one of his medals and even a commemorative plaque from Bedale where he was born.

All of his Service Records were destroyed in the Blitz so I'm struggling to find his exact movements. He was a mechanic and served in the Palestine arena with the MGC and, indeed the LCP. I'm not sure whether he served on the Western Front or exactly which battalion he was attached to. I have a memory of an Aunt who said he signed up with the East Yorks but don't know this for sure. I think he signed up in 1916 aged 17. Can anybody please help. Kind regards, John.

Hello John, welcome to the forum

If you can offer up asmuch information such as DOB where did he come from etc then the forum will get to work

Its worth having a read of the long long trail at the very top of this page 

Hello Johnny

Welcome

To a certain extent we are guessing without further info, but I assume he was born 15 Apr 1899 from what you have given

that leads to this Ancestry tree

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/54186306/person/13627230973/facts

which may have errors , but is broadly correct. That gives him as

slater.jpg.a133920cbaaf1ccff73245d44df41f0b.jpg

As you say you have a medal of his, it will have his number on the rim, so that should tell you if I am correct

Assuming that is he

1. He was discharged 28 Apr 1920

2. He was in hospital with tonsillitis, and sent from Beirut to Alexandria 10 Nov 1919 , arriving Egypt 15 Nov 1919. He is given as 7th Ind MGC

Evening boys, 

Thanks very much for looking into this for me. He was indeed born 15.41899 in Askew near Bedale. North Yorks and his Reg number was 130782.

I have a certificate to him signed by Brig Gen Watmore {I think) commanding 30th Infantry Brigade which thanks him on behalf of the EEF. It states he was in the 15th Light Ccar Patrol. I know he was Demobilised in 1920 and sailed home from Port Said. 

I can't find anything identifying this 15th unit or the 30th Inf. Brigade. I guess that he will have been involved in the battles for Gaza and the procession through Jerusalem but would like to kniw his exact movements. If you can find any documents relating to Leonard can you please send me the links. I'm very grateful for any help you can offer. John. 

7 hours ago, corisande said:

Assuming that is he

1. He was discharged 28 Apr 1920

2. He was in hospital with tonsillitis, and sent from Beirut to Alexandria 10 Nov 1919 , arriving Egypt 15 Nov 1919. He is given as 7th Ind MGC. 

The medal index card, medal roll and this medical record are all that is on Ancestry or Find my Past.  See the makeup of 30th Infantry Brigade.  The unit given on the medical record probably means 7th Indian MGC. His medal roll is MGC (Motors) but against his name is MGC(I) so possibly transferred to Motors from MG Company. No further forward with 15th Light Car Patrol. My lists only go up to 9th as does the list of LCP war diaries, but his medal entitlement certainly was issued from MGC (Motors)

30th Inf Bde.jpg

That's fantastic David. Every bit of info is another piece of the puzzle. I'll look more into the 7th Indian and see if I can locate their movements. Thank you.