Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge ceritficate/scroll

Guest Pete Wood

One of my Great Grandfathers served in the RAMC and was discharged as unfit. Apart from his 1915 Trio and SWB he was given a large scroll.

I can't get hold of it at the moment (it's in my parent's loft!) but if I remember rightly it had a soldier and a sailor on the left, Brittania (?) on the right, some ships in the background etc. It has (if I remember it rightly) his name on it but I can't recall if it has his service number etc.

Not much help really was it?

Lee

Lee's Great Grandfather got the scroll because he was disabled in the war. The ones I have seen have their name, number, regiment and state "served with honour and was disabled in the Great War. Honourably discharged on......

George RI"

I'm not sure if everyone who was disabled got one but they are certainly a lot scarcer than the badges. A lot of parishes,villages and towns issued unoffical scrolls to men who served regardless of whether they were wounded or not. The next of kin of the soldiers who died also got a much smaller scroll. Canadian soldiers next of kin also had an elaborate death certificate issued but I don't know if they got a scroll.

These scrolls were issued officially, as far as I know. The ones I have, have record office stamps on them. I just presumed one was issued with every badge; the fact that they are scarce is because being paper, these things get chucked more easily (same applies to Memorial Scrolls compared to plaques).

I have seen three designs:

1. The most common for the Army

2. A similar version to the above for the Navy, with lettering or printing in Blue? I don't have one, and its a while since I saw one to a RND man, but am sure it was in Blue!!?

3. Variations for ANZAC troops.

There may be another variation for CEF soldiers? Canadian collectors can perhaps tell us?

Didn't men who were prisoners of war also recieve some type of scroll. Thought I remembered seeing one issued to a POW, but it may have been due to another aspect of his service.

Cheers

Andrew

WW I Soldiers Discharge Certificate.

My father's WW I discharge certificate, is rectangular measuring 32cm X 43.5cm. I have no history on the artists other than his name is Bernard Partridge,

I would be interested to learn if there is any history available about the artist.

I would guess the weight of the paper is 100gsm, the certificate is showing wear and tare around the edges with discoloration.

The certificate states Reg. No. Rank, Name and Regiment.

Gray scale image is available for viewing from the link below, side margins of certicate have been cropped (not full size image).

James O'Sullivan.

World War One Certificate link to image.

James - This is the same as the one I (poorly) described earlier on in this thread. Although I haven't seen my great granddad's one for sometime I recognise it.

Cheers,

Lee

Paul

Yes the printing was blue on the navy scrolls.

John