Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best book about the Battle of Loos? 9th RWF interest

Buffnut453

Having completed sufficient of my study on the 9th RWF at the Battle of the Somme, I'm not turning to the Battle of Loos in September 1915.  I understand the 9th RWF were supposed to perform a demonstration but the description in the War Diary speaks of complete confusion.  

I'm wondering if there are any good books about the battle that might shed more light on the action by the 9th RWF?  

Thanks in advance. 

I thought Niall Cherry's book "Most Unfavourable Ground: The Battle of Loos, 1915" was excellent but off the top of my head I cannot comment on the coverage of the RWF

Chris

• Admin

I’d recommend the book by Nick Lloyd. 

Loos 1915 The Unwanted Battle Gordon Corrigan

'The Battle of Loos', by Phillip Warner is excellent, with much input from those that took part.  Published in 1976.

Mike.

i confirm all books are good

Gilles Loos sur les traces de la grande guerre

Looks like I'll be using the Interlibrary Loan System again to examine each book.  I simply don't have the shelf space for multiple books on the same battle, I'm afraid.  

Many thanks for the recommendations, though.  

I’ve always thought this book on the battle by Patrick Macgill gave one of the best descriptions of actually being in a battle. Can’t remember if there is any mention of the RWF though.D336DCED-0DBE-4DE6-8F6C-45F99FC0D8BD.jpeg.4f98d42487164dd10201d1dca6d3d056.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I’ve always thought this book on the battle by Patrick Macgill gave one of the best descriptions of actually being in a battle. Can’t remember if there is any mention of the RWF though.

Looks interesting! Thanks.  A PDF version is available at archive.org. But a quick text search doesn't come up with anything for the RWF.

As far as I can tell, Nick Lloyd's and Gordon Corrigan's books only mention the 2/RWF.

2 hours ago, KernelPanic said:

Looks interesting! Thanks.  A PDF version is available at archive.org. But a quick text search doesn't come up with anything for the RWF.

As far as I can tell, Nick Lloyd's and Gordon Corrigan's books only mention the 2/RWF.

Thanks for those insights.  You highlight a common challenge with published works in that the author must decide what to include and what to exclude.  For example, I have 4 books on the Somme battle but the 9th RWF actions on the second day are scarcely mentioned, and none identify below Divisional level.  I have the same problem with another ancestor who served in the 2/47th Foot in Spain at the Battle of Vitoria.  I just purchased a new book on the battle and it doesn't even mention the 2/47th anywhere in the text.  Rather frustrating to say the least.   

9 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I’ve always thought this book on the battle by Patrick Macgill gave one of the best descriptions of actually being in a battle. Can’t remember if there is any mention of the RWF though.D336DCED-0DBE-4DE6-8F6C-45F99FC0D8BD.jpeg.4f98d42487164dd10201d1dca6d3d056.jpeg

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll add it to my inter-library loan list in case it provides some useful "atmospheric" details of the battle (even if it doesn't mention the 9th RWF explicitly).

Just now, Buffnut453 said:

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll add it to my inter-library loan list in case it provides some useful "atmospheric" details of the battle (even if it doesn't mention the 9th RWF explicitly).

If you click on the archive.org link in my first post (or here: https://archive.org/details/greatpushepisode01macg/page/8/mode/2up) you can immediately download a PDF of the whole book. Saves you a wait for an inter-library loan. And the PDF is searchable.

'The German Army on the Western Front, 1915' by Jack Sheldon. Provides a detailed German perspective on the battle.

Robert