Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ITV Monday 9pm

Donald D

Long Lost Family Special. Davina McCall and Nicky Campbell trace the families of nine soldiers killed during the First World  War The bodies were found in a trench by roadworkers near Ypres. Hope it's not too mawkish.

Seems I must have been writing my version at the same time as Mikey. Must be a Northamptonshire thing :P

Edited by Donald D

Shame about the choice of presenters. Suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and watch through gritted teeth.

37 minutes ago, Donald D said:

Long Lost Family Special. Davina McCall and Nicky Campbell trace the families of nine soldiers killed during the First World  War The bodies were found in a trench by roadworkers near Ypres. Hope it's not too mawkish.

Seems I must have been writing my version at the same time as Mikey. Must be a Northamptonshire thing :P

Mike.

(Somewhere in West Northamptonshire)

Could have been a damned sight worse.

Mawkish mood music notwithstanding, it was better than I’d expected.

Actually, I’ll go further than that and say that I rate it quite highly.

Phil

Yes, I thought it pretty good.

Mike.

Yep, enjoyed it, especially enlightening were the "behind the scenes" activities of both the MOD and the CWGC.  

I usually avoid Davina McCall but I decided to give it a go and thought it was good. The usual commercial break outros and intros were a bit irksome but overall it was fine. I didn't pick up where the bodies were found and I'm assuming that the names are on the back wall at Tyne Cot given the dates of death rather than on the Menin Gate. If they had more time that would have been of interest. A visit when I'm next at Tyne Cot might be on the cards.

Pete.

Pete

The co-ordinates for the recovery were

Beselare

J.11.c.9.3 and J.10.d.90. 30

on Sheet 28 N.E.3.

1 hour ago, MelPack said:

The co-ordinates for the recovery

Much appreciated matey; I thought I'd seen Beselare mentioned but I wasn't sure of the context as the programme moved on to something else.

Pete.