Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Canadian Unit Markings on Ross bayonet

rd416

Hi all,

I have a pair of Canadian WW1 Ross Rifle bayonets that have unit markings I’m looking to decipher. Was hoping to get some help with them. 

The first bayonet has what appears to be L with a superscript W 22, I3300, 50 I am at a compete loss here  49F5EE26-2C33-4D68-8AC7-D07FBE0A5157.jpeg.8c365501827590a1656fa92777d54a0f.jpegF68CFEC4-4C79-4697-B173-ED5A1E51FC15.jpeg.34742316362126954d9d0cf8fe2c3708.jpeg

The second is December 1915 manufacture with markings on the underside of the pommel - T, I0620. I’m thinking tunnelling company as their mark was a T but that’s the extent of what I’ve found so far. 5187B26B-2E3B-4552-91F0-CE1431FFBBFA.jpeg.8c8727d65463584ee627d2b7ebb15cd8.jpegBDDFE683-23C3-44DD-B5CC-8488E7A88D77.jpeg.8082ce0b3faae27a454eb2fa6a195054.jpeg

Any help appreciated :) 

Thanks,

RD

There looks to be a small "F" after the "W".

The "L" also looks not so clearly struck, and possibly the same as the "I" (upper case "i"), which could conceivably actually be a "1" giving other possibilities (?):

L WF 22
I3300

I WF 22
I3300

1 WF 22

Edited by aodhdubh

17 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

The "L" also looks not so clearly struck, and possibly the same as the "I" (upper case "i"), which could conceivably actually be a "1" giving other possibilities (?):

L WF 22
I3300

I WF 22
I3300

1 WF 22

Agreed that those could be the combinations. I thought that there was an F as well at first but the more I look at it the more I think it’s just the line on the top of the W. But to add some more confusion to it all - it looks like there may have been some small letters underneath the W. I’m wondering if the W is meant to strike something out? Still trying to figure it out. 

17 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

L WF 22
I3300

I WF 22
I3300

1 WF 22

If it is indeed an “I” would that be that be Infantry, 22nd? So the Royal 22nd Regiment perhaps (Van Doos)? 

5 hours ago, rd416 said:

Agreed that those could be the combinations. I thought that there was an F as well at first but the more I look at it the more I think it’s just the line on the top of the W. But to add some more confusion to it all - it looks like there may have been some small letters underneath the W. I’m wondering if the W is meant to strike something out? Still trying to figure it out. 

5 hours ago, rd416 said:

If it is indeed an “I” would that be that be Infantry, 22nd? So the Royal 22nd Regiment perhaps (Van Doos)? 

I don't know much of anything about the markings on these, unfortunately.

Could "F" (if that is an "F") be "Force"? I do not know if Canada had any "Fusiliers"....There was a Canadian Forestry Corps (but were they armed?).

If it is an F, it would probably need to be explained why it appears to be a different character size than the other letters...if stock was transferred between units, would the unit markings be updated? I am sure this happened with markings on the butt stock, but a bayonet pommel does not have a lot of acreage.

Also, are these definitely Canadian markings? The British Army and other British forces made use of these...might the markings refer to a British unit or force?

Edited by aodhdubh

18 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

Could "F" (if that is an "F") be "Force"? I do not know if Canada had any "Fusiliers"....There was a Canadian Forestry Corps (but were they armed?).

If it is an F, it would probably need to be explained why it appears to be a different character size than the other letters...if stock was transferred between units, would the unit markings be updated? I am sure this happened with markings on the butt stock, but a bayonet pommel does not have a lot of acreage.

Also, are these definitely Canadian markings? The British Army and other British forces made use of these...might the markings refer to a British unit or force?

I am fairly confident that they are Canadian as I only see Canadian acceptance markings and they seem consistent with other Canadian markings on Ross bayonets. Although I could be wrong of course. 

To the point of the size of the F - yes it is quite strange and the W itself too is quite small. Very strange markings. 

There are some fusiliers in Canada but still not convinced it’s an F. 

RD

2 hours ago, rd416 said:

I am fairly confident that they are Canadian as I only see Canadian acceptance markings and they seem consistent with other Canadian markings on Ross bayonets. Although I could be wrong of course. 

To the point of the size of the F - yes it is quite strange and the W itself too is quite small. Very strange markings. 

There are some fusiliers in Canada but still not convinced it’s an F. 

RD

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your finding an answer speedily. Erstwhile, 22nd (Van Doos) seems like a reasonable guess. Perhaps reverse-engineer see if there is information on that regiment's marks, though I expect you'd already be doing that and I'm stating the obvious. No "thumbs up" to click on here, creating a horror vaccui.

On 06/07/2022 at 02:32, aodhdubh said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your finding an answer speedily. Erstwhile, 22nd (Van Doos) seems like a reasonable guess. Perhaps reverse-engineer see if there is information on that regiment's marks, though I expect you'd already be doing that and I'm stating the obvious. No "thumbs up" to click on here, creating a horror vaccui.

Thanks aodhdubh,

Appreciate the input. Would have been stuck on my path to find LW. 

cheers,

RD

1 hour ago, rd416 said:

Thanks aodhdubh,

Appreciate the input. Would have been stuck on my path to find LW. 

cheers,

RD

De nada

Pourriez vous s’il vous plait m’identifier les marquages sur celle çi, ? merci

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 07/07/2022 at 20:00, le ulhan said:

Pourriez vous s’il vous plait m’identifier les marquages sur celle çi, ? merci

DSC_0330.JPG

A very nice one with its scabbard! The '11' is for 'Pattern 1911', OR 'Mk.II', cannot remember which! The date is '2/16', so made / issued February 1916. Others can day more about it.

• 1 year later...

Nor sure but you stand a good chance of owning  a Van Doos  133 Cadet corps rack 30 quite scarce 

Explain please!

Edited by trajan

On 05/07/2022 at 04:35, aodhdubh said:

Trajan ,You have a very good question , yes " Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke"is one of them !  I kind of think this is more like a 1 , I have seen similar marking with that type of same marking . Mind you British unit or force are quite similar ,I never thought of that one ,  but this one to me  is  Canadian .I have enjoyed reading you often and truly appreciate your implication