Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help requested for deciphering Naval Record

Lorna Laycock

Hi there, 

I am after some help trying to decipher my GGF's Naval Record. I have been looking at old posts and think I have worked out the following:

"30th May 1917 - Hostilities" means he enlisted voluntarily and for the duration of the war?

30.05.17-31.05.17 - HMS President II is what is known as a “stone frigate” or shore establishment. It is a holding address to register a seaman either in training or if not currently on board a ship.

01.06.17-02.07.17 - Had his initial training at the Royal Naval Shore Station HMS Victory (which became known as ‘HMS Crystal Palace’). Went on to Wormwood Scrubs. Am I right in thinking that ACII means he trained as an Air Craftsman? I am aware that Wormwood Scrubs was instrumental in the development of the tank and armoured cars - would he have had anything to do with this?

03.07.17- 5.08.17 - Then was posted to the RNAS base at Dunkirk France - not sure what he would have done there?

16.08.17 - Back at Crystal Palace - more training?

24.08.17- 28.11.17 - Crystal Palace - more training to become AMI (Air Mechanic?)

29.11.17-31.03.18 - Trained at the Chingford Royal Naval Air Station – also known as Chingford Aerodrome which was used to train around 1,000 pilots before they were sent to Europe.

01.04.1918 - The Royal Air Force was formed by a merger of the RFC and the RNAS

Is anyone able to decipher anything underneath the last mention of 'Chingford' or in the 'Remarks' section please?

Many thanks in advance. Lorna

Claud Laycock Naval Record.pdf

1 hour ago, Lorna Laycock said:

"30th May 1917 - Hostilities" means he enlisted voluntarily and for the duration of the war? CORRECT

30.05.17-31.05.17 - HMS President II is what is known as a “stone frigate” or shore establishment. It is a holding address to register a seaman either in training or if not currently on board a ship. PRESIDENT II WAS THE PAY AND ADMIN OFFICE IN LONDON THAT HANDLED THE ACCOUNTS OF MOST MEN OF THE RNAS IN MANY LOCATIONS/

01.06.17-02.07.17 - Had his initial training at the Royal Naval Shore Station HMS Victory (which became known as ‘HMS Crystal Palace’). AT CRYSTAL PALACE HE WAS BORNE ON THE BOOKS OF PRESIDENT II, NEVER OF VICTORY.

Went on to Wormwood Scrubs. Am I right in thinking that ACII means he trained as an Air Craftsman? AIRCRAFTMAN 2ND GRADE - LATER TRANSFERRED TO AIR MECHANIC 1ST GRADE. I am aware that Wormwood Scrubs was instrumental in the development of the tank and armoured cars - would he have had anything to do with this? POSSIBLY. AN RAF RECORD SHOWS HIM AS A CARPENTER ONTRANSFER FROM RNAS TO RAFhttp://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/laycock-c

03.07.17- 5.08.17 - Then was posted to the RNAS base at Dunkirk France - not sure what he would have done there? HIS RECORD DOES NOT TELL.

16.08.17 - Back at Crystal Palace - more training? CONINCIDES WITH HIS TRANSFER TO AIR MECHANIC AS YOU STATE NEXT. USING HIS CIVILIAN TRADE OF JOINER.

24.08.17- 28.11.17 - Crystal Palace - more training to become AMI (Air Mechanic?)

29.11.17-31.03.18 - [Trained] SERVED at the Chingford Royal Naval Air Station – also known as Chingford Aerodrome which was used to train around 1,000 pilots before they were sent to Europe. TARDE NOW CARPENTER AS AN AM1.

01.04.1918 - The Royal Air Force was formed by a merger of the RFC and the RNAS CORRECT - ON ALL FOOLS DAY 1918

Is anyone able to decipher anything underneath the last mention of 'Chingford' or in the 'Remarks' section please? UNREADABLE IN THE SCAN. MIGHT BE MORE LEGIBLE ON THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT AT KEW.

Claud Laycock Naval Record.pdf 198.73 kB · 2 downloads

Edited by horatio2

Many thanks for your help. I'm wondering why my GGF joined up so late? I am aware that the Military Service Bill was extended to married men in May 1916 so presumably, he should have joined a year earlier than he did? Despite stating his profession as a Joiner on his RNAS service record, his marriage certificate states that in 1915, he was a teacher (of woodwork, I believe). Would this have granted him an exemption from compulsory conscription?

Othersd are more expert than I on conscription matters but I would assume that, while he was awaiting a call from the army, he volunteered his services to the Navy.

We cannot know when he signed a naval engagement because the RAF destroyed all such documentation after the transfer of the RNAS in April 1918. The RN did have a system whereby men who were not immediately required for the Naval Service were placed on an RNVR ' 'Y' holding list until called forward. Usually this RNVR 'Y' No. is entered in their ledger record (ADM 188) but there is no such entry for your GF.

Edited by horatio2