Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I collect GW matchbox holders, lots from the UK. Can it be assumed these were 'liberated' from German POW'S?

RICHARD1959

yes i knw what assume means. Either that or they got them off the dead

Or maybe traded during the Xmas truce? more of a kindly thought but not likely, to many of them to be traded

I also have a dug, dameged one from tatenburg

No, you can surmise but not assume that as you have no evidence. I would suggest that that could have been traded by German PoW's or given away by PoW's as mementos to people who had been kind them or brought back from Germany after the war by British troops who were based in Germany. 

How or where ever it came from its a very nice holder. It looks the type of thing a pre-war national service man would have bought as a souvenir prior to his discharge.

Charlie

The inscription 'Parole Heimat' has been discussed before.

'Homeward Bound'  was the translation offered then.

This is a pre-war reservist souvenir. Here's a similar piece from the same regiment: https://genwiki.genealogy.net/Datei:IR-69-Reservistenkrug-Vorde.png

Pre-war German photos (and souvenir postcards etc.) of men undertaking their active service obligation often have a slogan such as 'Parole 100' - 'Parole' means 'watchword' and the number denotes the number of days' service left until the men are released back into civilian life. 'Parole Heimat' signifies that the service period is now up and it's time to go home - which is the point when souvenirs like this were purchased as a memento. Upon completing the active service obligation one became a reservist, hence they are often referred to as 'reservist souvenirs'. These took all sorts of forms (pipes and tankards being the most well known) and varied from the basic to the extravagant.

Regarding Christmas 1914, I should point out that IR 69 was in Alsace at the time. According to the calendar of engagements here, It was transferred on Christmas Day(!) to take part in fighting on the Champagne front.
https://genwiki.genealogy.net/IR_69

• 2 weeks later...

Richard,

I am also of the view that your dreaming if you think this was traded as a PoW

Soldiers are not that nice with shinny things, and I dought he would still have it by the time he arrived in a PoW camp in the UK.

I say that because we (aussies) were known to rat the prisoners and this would need to be well hidden not to be taken.

While I am unsure about our British mates, I don't see them letting it go, when a small item could be carried with out trouble.

It may not have been picked up during the war as when I was in German 40 years ago many items such as this were for sale in many markets on week ends for a few marks.

S.B