Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Road To Endor

Tim Birch

I am rereading this classic true story about British POW's in Turkey. The co-author EH Jones describes how he started faking on a Ouija Board as a bit of a laugh, but he is so good at it that his fellow POW's believe in it. The other co-author CW Hill, an Australian pilot also captured at Kut, was one of the greatest ameuteur magicians of his time, and he uses his skills to produce poltegyst "effects" during seances. Before long the Turks get wind of the seances, and start attending. Eventually the Camp Commandant becomes hooked and a "believer".

I won't spoil the story by giving away too much, but in the end by their joint skills in convincing the Turkish authorities that they have phsycic powers, including going through with a fake suicide which inlvoved hanging by the neck banking on the Turkish guard finding them on time, the two men eventually engineer their repatriation to Britain through the Red Cross.

The book is even more fascinating for a POW book in that it is illustrated by photographs taken secretly by Hill on a camera he made whilst in captivity!

It must have been the most bizarre and original escape plans in the history of warfare.

The book is currently out of print, but if any forum members can get hold of a copy from a second hand dealer or their library I recomend reading it.

The reason my interest was sparked was because when I was a school boy in the 1950's I was travelling by train across France with my family, and one of our fellow travellers in the compartment was CW Hill! I remember my sister and I being facinated as he entertained us with unbelievable tricks of conjuring.

In the preface to the book EH Jones hits out at the spiritulist charletons who preyed on grieving wives, parents and girlfriends during the immediate post Great War period, and who for a fee, would enable them to communicate with loved ones lost in the War. He says that if the book can deter even one widow from the clutches of a hired trickster then all his and Hill's sufferings in their struggle for freedom would have been worth it.

It is also a great book for steadying any wavering individual trying to retain an "open mind" on the question of spirituism, and reinforcing those thoughts that made them cynical in the first place!

Tim

It is an incredible story. The two officers spun the most incredible, tortuous tale that they 'sold' to the Turks. Even remembering all the nuances of it must have been a feat, let alone doing so under great duress at times.

I actually wrote a review of the book some time ago, which you can find on the main site.

Agree with both of you in regard to this book, though it's been quite a while since I read it.

TW White who was captured outside of Baghdad and subsequently wrote 'Guests of the Unspeakable' also mentions these two men in his book.

Cheers

Andrew