Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aubers Ridge Area: Cafes etc

Mark Hone

On my October School Battlefields Tour, my 29th (and last), I plan to revisit some of my favourite 'stands' from previous trips. One of these is on Aubers Ridge:  the site of the attack by 2nd/2nd Gurkhas and 1st/4th Seaforth Highlanders, not far from the beautiful Neuve Chapelle Memorial. Two former pupils of our school, Harry Ratcliffe and John Whittam, died during the Seaforth Highlanders attack. We last visited during our 2015 tour. Does anyone know of a cafe or similar place with appropriate facilities that we could stop at during our visit to the area? We should be in the vicinity around lunchtime on a Saturday. We will have around 50 teachers and students on the trip. I know that there is a cafe/restaurant at the La Bombe crossroads, but I can only ever remember it being open once in all the times I've visited, with school or privately, over the years. I'd prefer not to tangle with the centre of Armentieres itself if possible, but if anyone has a recommendation there (and knows where we can park the coach), I'd be open to suggestions. Thanks, as always for the help given by Forum Pals. A McDonalds or similar, perish the thought, or even a big out of town shopping area would also fit the bill. 

• Admin

There’s a big complex at La Gorgue, might be a Maccy D there

Thanks. It's not so much for the fast food (although the troops will no doubt appreciate it to supplement their packed lunches) as the loos. We'll also be visiting the grave of Harold Barlow, one of the first fatalities amongst our old boys, at Brown's Road Cemetery. His moving last letter was published in the school magazine 'The Clavian' in 1915 and will be read out at his grave, as it was in 2015. 

Edited by Mark Hone

• Admin

La Bombe cafe is no more by the way. There a nice looking restaurant near Pont Du Hem cemetery.